Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Nephrology Symptoms

Question: IGA nephropathy

vmax33 - Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:53 pm

I have Iga nephropathy. diagnosed about 4yrs. ago. I was told by my kidney specialist that when I become ill, visible blood in the urine is common with my disease. I have been ill twice before this occaision, that amounted to visible blood in my urine. I had only urinated blood once or twice and then it was gone. I have recently become ill and feel as if I am recovering. I have had a flu shot in november. I went to my family practitioner and he explained my symptoms to a "T". Apparently he had the same illness days before me and it is running wild through my area, (Duluth, MN.). He believes it is viral. symptoms were frequent liquid bowel movements. body aches, chills and slight fever. This infection generally runs it's coarse in 48 to 72 hrs. according to my Doctor and he was right I feel alot better after 70 hrs. but still have diarhea. My main concern is that in the past I generally urinated blood once or twice on the downslope of an illness. I feel as if I'm on the downslope of this one but I have noticed blood in my urine for the last 36 hrs. This is far longer than I have ever had blood in my urine. But, I feel fine and in good spirits. shall I go to the ER, or wait until Monday when my doctor is in and maybe it may clear up by then? I am a 35yr. old Male 5' 9", 200lbs. With no other health issues other than the IGA Nephropathy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance for all of your effort. Sincerely, Shane johnson
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:23 pm

Hematuria with IGA nephropathy is especially common during viral infections and as long as there is no swelling of the extremities (which can be a sign of increased proteinuria) and no other symptoms -- and you continue to feel as though you're recovering from the viral infection, the presence of blood doesn't usually mean much and of course tends to look like more than it is anyway, since it is diluted. However, if you experience anything markedly outside your experience other than blood in the urine you should report it to your doctor, and if the hematuria continues for an inordinate period of time it should at least be reported. Otherwise, a person with IGA nephropathy usually won't find him or her self in a crisis situation without feeling it (and that is rather rare).

I hope this is helpful. Good luck to you. Please follow up with us as needed.

|