News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: Severe, unexplained all-over edema & possible sleep apnea

curiouspatient - Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:17 pm

First of all, please forgive me if this is not in the right category, and feel free to direct me to the correct one if you think that something else is better suited.
I have been dealing with severe swelling/edema that popped up out of the blue in May of 2008. I swelled up 30lbs in a few hours, and 20 more lbs in the next day or two.
I went to one ER and was told it was in my head, given an ativan and sent home. I went to another one (two days and 5o total lbs later) and got oxygen and blood drawn but then was told that since I "wasn't gonna die today" that I had to leave.
MY PCP had not done much. In his office, I have not been in a gown. EVER. He met me AFTER I swelled up, so maybe he thinks I'm just fat. I don't know. I think it is pretty obvious that I am full of fluid.
I am losing my ability to function. I am, scared. I can't put on my own socks and shoes. I can't wear a bra because I can't reach around back to fasten it.
I went to a nephrologist and she has had me off and on diuretics since September.
2 weeks ago, she said to me in front of my mother, that if I was on diuretics that I WILL end up on dyalisis and die. The next week, in front of my boyfriend, she said that she wanted me back on them, but when he called her on her previous statement she said "well, yeah..." and refused to give me the prescription.
She says she wants me to get a 2nd opinion from another nephrologist at a major hospital, but I can't get an appointment. I called HER office back about this and they said they would figure it out and get back to me and they have not. I have been to the ER more times than I can count because the swelling and pain keeps getting worse and worse and I just don't know what to do.
I have been documenting what I can on a blog at http://acuriouspatient.blogspot.com if that helps you. (this blog does NOT contain ANY names, including mine, nor any doctors or which hospitals I have been at, it is simply information I have been documenting in case there is anyone out there who can help me. I am scared out of my mind and I do not know what to do.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Also, lately my boyfriend brought up that I have been snoring, which is not normal for me, and I have been feeling like I am not breathing well when I am drifting off, and I wake up having to cough up fluid/mucous.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:07 pm

User avatar Hello,Though I can not profess to have a solution to your unexplained edema yet can offer you some diagnosis based on a reference.
Idiopathic edema: I. The occurrence of hypoalbuminemia and abnormal albumin metabolism in women with unexplained edema
Volume 52, Issue 4, Pages 444-451 (April 1972)John R. Gill, M.D.1, Thomas A. Waldmann, M.D.1, Frederic C. Bartter, M.D.1
The American Journal of Medicine.
The authors have found a significance of reduction of Albumen levels due to abnormal level of degradation of plasma albumin leading to edema in women who do not have other cardiovascular or kidney disease.
This reduction leads to lowered blood volume signalling the secretion of aldosterone which in turn conserves sodium leading to odema.
Hope this information is useful to you.
Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here