News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Nephrotic Syndrome

Question: Asymptomatic Proteinuria and Altace Treatment Protocol

Dan Theman - Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:50 pm

I have had proteinuria which went from 1.3g in November 2003 to 5g in October 2004. My Nephrologist has been treating me with 10mg Altace and is adopting a wait and see if it goes down, which if it doesn't, he will want to do a biopsy. I have no symptoms other than the protiein which technically puts me in the nehprotic syndrome stage and my kidney functions are stable. What is a reasonable amount of time to wait and see to determine if the Altace treatment is not working? Also, should I fast for future blood work? I have heard creatinine levels could be unreliable if you eat before the test.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:48 am

User avatar Hello Dan,
There is no wait and see policy once you are in the nephrotic range. A biopsy should be done right away. I have reviewed the literature and found a rather rare association of nephrotic syndrome with CLL. Luckily if it is a membranous glomerulonephritis then therapy for both conditions (CLL and nephrotic syndrome) could be similar. How well is your leukemia controlled and are you currently taking any therapy for it?
 Dan Theman - Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:31 am

Thanks for the response. I was diagnosed with CLL in 1995 and have not been treated as yet. My WBC counts are normal although my platelets are low (110). Again, do you recommend fasting prior to blood work for kidney functions? Thanks again.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:59 am

User avatar Avoid eating a diet high in meat or other protein before having a blood urea nitrogen (BUN) test. Serum creatinine on the other hand, is not affected by diet or activity.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here