News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Nephrology Symptoms

Question: mild to severe kidney pain

angelforever34 - Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:47 am

3 1/2 months ago, I developed a UTI and severely decreased urination from an antidepressant I was taking. It caused severe pain in both of my kidneys. Got rid of the infection after using 3 prescriptions of antibiotics (bactrim & cipro). But the pain continued, constantly in my left kidney and occasionally in my right kidney. A couple of weeks ago, I went to hurting continously in both kidneys and the pain got worse. A few days ago, I got another UTI and developed decreased urination again and the decrease may have been due to a muscle relaxant I started taking. The bactrim has helped that. The pain can range from moderatly bad to severe (throbbing, achy and burning). It hurts both of my kidneys when I am sitting back on the couch. I have had variations of decreased urine output and then have frequent urination since this started. I gained 20 lbs in two months time. For weeks, I noticed my urine looked almost clear white as it seemed too much water was in my urine and it wasn't concentrating. My specific gravity at that time ranged from less than or equal to 1.005 to 1:015. Now it is staying at 1:030 and my doctor told me that I may have mild dehydration because my hemoglobin and hematocrit are elevated. When these problems first started, I was checked for kidney stones and had none but since have not been checked to see why I am having the flank pain other than urinalysis which always shows higher than normal levels of red blood cells. My blood pressure has been staying in pre-hypertension range and sometimes has been as high as 140 over 90. I sweat really bad in the palms of my hands and in my feet. I get hot flashes, feel flushed and break out in a sweat on my face. I have severe muscle cramps and continous headaches. And I can't seem to tolerate my medications now. Muscle relaxants make me very sick. I recently had bad reactions to Skelexin and was put on Diazepam (5mg twice a day) but it caused me to sleep 28 of 31 hours and I am afraid that is because of my kidney problem. I am sore to the touch in both of my kidneys. My stomach has been hurting alot recently too, having pain, diarrhea and feeling bloated alot. My questions are: could these be signs of chronic kidney inflammation? Could the sweating, hot flashes and muscle cramps be due to kidney disease? I am only 34, it is definetly not menapausal related. And is it normal to be able to feel your kidneys because I can easily feel both of mine and could they be swelled because of that? I have been feeling generally very sick and having a really tough time dealing with this pain. Hope you can provide some help. Thanks.
 angelforever34 - Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:03 pm

There were quite a bit of abnormaities in the last urinalysis I had done in the ER. It showed Appearance: cloudy Specific Gravity: 1:035 Protein: trace Keytone: trace Blood 2+ Leuk Esterase 1+ PH 5.0 (in normal limits) On the microscopic it showed RBC, URINE, AUTO 15.9 H WBC, URINE, AUTO 23.2 H, BACTERIA, AUTO 748.9 H CASTS, OTHER, AUTO 1.7 (in normal limits). The urine culture showed colony count: 50,000 CFU/ml urine workup: mixed contanimants three organisms - no sensitivity. I was diagnosed with a UTI but is there anything in these test results that could indicate this is a kidney infection and not a bladder infection? My bladder pain went away but my kidneys still continuously hurt. The flank pain has been ignored by my doctors because I had a left ovarian lesion but it's went away and then they try to tell me my bladder cystitis is causing my flank pain and I know that's not true. I don't know what to do to get the help I need. Can someone please give me some advice (pleaseeeeeeee)? Thanks in advance. My doctor also did a urinalysis the day before this test and at that time I quit burning for only two trips to the bathroom but the UTI did not show up. Why would it do that just because I quit burning for about a half an hour? That makes no sense whatsover.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here