Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: Hydronephrosis

Victoire2002 - Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:34 pm

I have been recently diagnosed with hydronephrosis, and i am nervous because I don't know how serious this is. What are the causes, symptoms and typical outcomes from this condition? I am 35 yrs old, female, with no history of serious illness.

Vicki
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:36 am

User avatar Hi Vicki,
Hydronephrosis is defined as a dilation of the renal pelvis and calyces. This happens in response to the interruption of the flow of urine. That is, once something obstructs the flow of urine the backpressure causes the expansion of the ureter (hydroureter) and the kidneys (hydronephrosis).

Causes of this condition are many, basically anything that obstructs the outflow of urine either from inside such as kidney stones (common) and blood clots, tumors etc... or from outside such as lymph node enlargement or tumors or even pregnancy compressing the ureter from outside.

A search for a possible cause is mandatory. This would require other imaging modalities such as pyelography and or magnetic resonance imaging.

Prognosis and outcome depends on the cause and the delay in receiving proper therapy which may include surgical relief of obstruction. You must be referred to a urologist asap. Any delay can lead to irreversible loss of renal function.

bailey12167 - Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:02 am

hi there ive just been diagnosed with hydronyphrosis myself now i only have one kidney could that create problems for me

|