News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Nephrology Symptoms

Question: Thin Lining inKidney

Anonymous - Tue May 27, 2003 12:50 pm

After having a kidney biopsy, I was told that I have a very thin lining in my kidneys, has anyone heard of anything like this. I understand there is no cure and blood will remain in urine forever.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue May 27, 2003 7:19 pm

User avatar The Good News:

Thin Basement membrane nephropathy (T.B.M.N) is not associated with early end stage renal disease and in fact survivors into the ninth decade are recorded! The prevalence of T.B.M.N. is reported as being similar to that of IgA nephropathy. Haematuria (blood in urine) is thought to occur from thinning of the basement membrane allowing easier passage of red blood cells into the urinary space. Alternatively, the thin basement membrane may be more likely to rupture and result in haematuria. Approximately 95% of these patients present with haematuria with 12% having 3+ haematuria.

Trials have now followed up this condition for 15-17 years with the first case being diagnosed in 1973. Review articles on this condition are favourable with a benign course being described in most instances. In a review article in the Quarterly Journal of Medicine, 43 patients were followed up for a mean period of 88 months and all had a benign prognosis with no change in creatinine over this period. There does not appear to be any association with prognosis and amount of haematuria/proteinuria or age. The association with hypertension however is important, as there is an increased risk of renal dysfunction in these patients. T.B.M.N has been linked to a number of other conditions including Crohn’s disease, co-existence with IgA nephropathy and mesangial proliferative glomerulonephritis.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here