Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Nephrology Symptoms

Question: Thin Lining inKidney

Anonymous - Tue May 27, 2003 12:50 pm

After having a kidney biopsy, I was told that I have a very thin lining in my kidneys, has anyone heard of anything like this. I understand there is no cure and blood will remain in urine forever.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue May 27, 2003 7:19 pm

User avatar The Good News:

Thin Basement membrane nephropathy (T.B.M.N) is not associated with early end stage renal disease and in fact survivors into the ninth decade are recorded! The prevalence of T.B.M.N. is reported as being similar to that of IgA nephropathy. Haematuria (blood in urine) is thought to occur from thinning of the basement membrane allowing easier passage of red blood cells into the urinary space. Alternatively, the thin basement membrane may be more likely to rupture and result in haematuria. Approximately 95% of these patients present with haematuria with 12% having 3+ haematuria.

Trials have now followed up this condition for 15-17 years with the first case being diagnosed in 1973. Review articles on this condition are favourable with a benign course being described in most instances. In a review article in the Quarterly Journal of Medicine, 43 patients were followed up for a mean period of 88 months and all had a benign prognosis with no change in creatinine over this period. There does not appear to be any association with prognosis and amount of haematuria/proteinuria or age. The association with hypertension however is important, as there is an increased risk of renal dysfunction in these patients. T.B.M.N has been linked to a number of other conditions including Crohn’s disease, co-existence with IgA nephropathy and mesangial proliferative glomerulonephritis.

|