Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Renal Failure

Question: acidosis

abbott - Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:07 pm

I have CRF with a creatinine of 3.9 for a couple of years. Last November, a doctor prescribed diovan for blood pressure of 140/80 and my creatinine and Bun went up to 5.1 and 50. I am 19 years old. For 6 months, the creatinine stayed high and Bun stabilized at 35. I recently was treated for acidosis with sodium bicarbonate and suddenly my creatinine went down to 3.6 and BUN to 29. It's been that way for 3 weeks now. The doctor says that this is a real increase in renal function but can't really explain it. I was thinking I was needing a transplant soon and now I don't know. Has anyone ever heard of this happening?
 aha_malki - Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:38 am

The Diovan you have used can impair renal function through its effect on vascular tone and reduction of intraglomerular pressure. This is particularly documented for a group of medications with near similar mechanism of action called ACE-inhibitors. You have used Diovan then your serum creatinine and BUN went up. Later on, you noticed improvement almost back to the baseline. Probably you stopped Diovan.

Either Diovan or other drugs (not mentioned) resulted in transient elevation of creatinine and BUN. Removing the cause leads to stabilizing renal function back to baseline values.

I hope this will make sense to you.

|