Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: I was born with one kidney

Mila - Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:19 pm

Hello doctor,
I have a situation and hope you can explain to me what's happening... Here is what happen ....I am 31 years old, few years back when i was 29, i found out from ST scan that i have 1 kidney... I have 2 children. With my last pregnancy i had gestational diabetes, and unfortunately i still have it, diabetes never went away. I'm worry about my lab tests, my doctor said" I do not think you need to see a kidney specialist. This condition will most likely improve if we control your diabetes better. Nephrologists will not be able to help at this point" that was her responds when i ask her to see nephrologist. Here are some of my lad tests..I have protein in every test a do.
There should be one more test result and i can't find it...:-(
I recently went to see endocrinologist he explained to me as same as "when you trow stick in the river and, and watch how fast the stick would flow", and result of my test were 145 where it should be less than 30

Component Your Value Standard Range
BUN 18 10-20 mg/dL
PROTEIN, URINE, QN 10.7
CREATININE, URINE 138
PROTEIN/CREATININE, URINE 0.08 <0.19- mg/mg
ALT 26 <36- U/L

Thank you
Mila
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:33 am

Proteinuria is well recognized as an independent risk factor for cardiovascular and renal disease and as a predictor of end organ damage.

Because the excretion of creatinine and protein is reasonably constant throughout the day when the glomerular filtration rate is stable , some have proposed the use of a ratio measurement of protein to creatinine in urine samples collected over shorter time periods, or even random (or “spot”) urine samples to correlate well with estimation of 24 hour urine samples(which are perhaps most reliable, but more bothersome to peform).

Proteinuria may be defined as a Protein:creatinine ratio >45 mg/mmol (which is equivalent to Albumin:creatinine ratio of >30 mg/mmol).

Some workers have proposed a cut-off value of P:C ratio < 0.22 to rule out significant proteinuria.

In your case, as you may be a newly discovered diabetic, and have a single kidney, you need to be extra careful regarding control of your diabetes, should control risk factors such as smoking,hyperlipidemias etc, and for subsequent pregnancies, should have periodic testing of P:C ratio to make sure that your risks are minimized.

|