News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: Fluid on Kidney discovered following ultrasound

ricoswabme - Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:50 am

I recently had a "body scan" completed and they found water on my left side kidney. Obviously they recommend I see a physician but wanted to get some ideas on what could be causing this. I have lived with a small hernia on my left side groin for years but have had no issues requiring me to have it surgically repaired. My layman guess is this may need to be looked at as a possible cause? Thanks!
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:42 am

User avatar Hi,
"fluid" around the kidney could mean blood, urine, lymph etc. In a CT scan, based on the 'attenuation' values, the radiologist will be able to tell the nature of the fluid.You say that 'water' was discovered around your kidney.I take it you mean 'urine'.

Fluid around the kidney may be broadly classsified as
- renal-related perinephric fluid collections and
- non-renal perinephric fluid collections.

Let me list some of the reported causes of renal perinephric fluid collections....
- Spontaneous perinephric urinary extravasation (perinephric urinoma) in an adult secondary to an over distended neurogenic bladder is known.
- Urinary extravasation in a status post partum patient although not that common, has been reported.
- Urinary extravasation due to urinary stones causing hydronephrosis is known.
- Urinary extravasation due rapid intravenous infusions in management of ureteric colics is well known.

Some of the causes of non-renal perinephric fluid collections are....
- acute pancreatitis
- bleeding diathesis
- Trauma etc

As you can see that without further information, it is quite difficult to offer a better opinion.
Best wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here