Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Nephrology Symptoms

Question: Kidney Infection - Disagreeing Doctors

Tami0366 - Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:42 pm

I started with burning when urinating and dark urine. I went to my gyn doctor and he said bladder infection. He prescribed an antibotic and I finished the meds. The day after the burning came back. Went back in for a urine test and he said urine was clear. 2 adys later I woke up at 3 in the morning with intense lower back pain. I went to the ER and they did urine, blood test, and ct scan. CT scan was negative.

UA Chem screen was as follows:
Color - Yellow
Appearance - SL Hazy
Specific Gravity - 1020
Leukocytes - Urine = 2+
Nitrites = NEG
pH = 6.0
Protein = 2+
Sugar = NORM
Ketone = NEG
Bile = NEG
Urobilinogen = Normal
Occult Blood = 3+

UA Microscopic
RBC (hpf) = INNUMERABLE
WBC (hpf) = INNUMERABLE
WBC Clumps = MODERATE
Bacteria = Many
Squameous Epithelial = 1

CBC
WBC = 17.8
RBC = 5.11
HGB = 15.2
HCT = 45.4
MCV = 88.8
MCH = 29.8
MCHC = 33.5
RDW = 15.2

Platelet Count
Platelet Count = 274
Mean Platelet Volume 7.8

Differential
Segs = 72
Bands = 2
Lymps = 24
Monos = 2

Comprensive Metabolic
The only thing out of range is ALT (SGPT) = 9

My problem is that my gyn says that I do not have a kidney infection. He has a copy of the results from the ER visit. He says the flank pain is coming from a pulled muscle. This concerns me because the pain is still there. (not as intense as before) I am also concerned about taking a strong antibotic (ER doc prescribed Cipro) if it is not necessary. I know enough about blood testing to know that my white count should not be that high. This knowlegde came from having my appendix rupture in 2007. I walked around with the ruptured appendix for 14 days because it only hurt in my back. I took 800mg of Ibuprofin and it releived the pain.
I still have said appendix and every time I have have back pain I wonder if it is that appendix again. I have had at least 6 scans since this happend and they all say the appendix is normal. This seems a little strange to me. One doctor went so far as to say that the appendix looks as if nothing happened to it.

Please advise ASAP. I do not want to take antibiotics if I have nothing more than a pulled muscle.

Thank you
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:24 pm

Before attempting to making sense out of the reports,i would like to place a few facts before you....
- mere presence of numerous white blood cells in the urine does not automatically mean there is UTI.It only means that there is pyuria.

- presence of significant number of red blood cells in the urine assumes significance only if the urine specimen (in females) had not been collected during the menses or in the next few days following cessation to menstrual flow.

- UTI can be diagnosed ideally if a urine culture shows significant numbers of microorganisms(which are not contaminants).

- if a urine sample is allowed to stand for a prolonged period of time before testing, bacterial growth may occur and the finding of
'Bacteria = Many' may not be considered significant.

The total WBC count is certainly high, but band forms are not excessive.Is there any chance that you were pregnant at that time?(Total WBC counts usually increase during pregnancy).

I do not know if your urine had been cultured and if so, what the report was.If your urine had not been cultured,it is certainly indicated. Best wishes!

|