Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: Pain in right side could it be kidney or appendix??

athleticgirl_40 - Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:01 am

Over the past year I have had reoccuring pain on the right side and back region. It is a sharp stabbing pain that comes fast out of nowhere, but can last up to several hours. It is almost a constant stabbing pain that takes my breath away. If you take your hand and place your palm flat on your mid-side and move it a hand to the left and a hand to the right that is the region it is affecting. Used to this would occur once every 3 months. It has progressed to once a month. And recently it has happened twice in one week 3 days apart. It used to help if I would drink water, cranberry juice, and pop azos. But these last two times nothing helped. On Wednesday it lasted from 11pm-4:30am. I had drinked water, took an azo, drinked cranberry juice and took 3 different hot baths with empsom salt. The baths made the pain go away but only when I was submerged in the burning hot water but once I got out of the bath the pain would come back. 3 days later on Saturday the pain came again but this time it lasted from 12pm to 2pm. The pain finally subsided but since I have had a numbness pain in my side region like something is inflammed or swollen but it doesnt look like it to the eye. And since the last attack I occasionally get sharp short pains on my belly button and to the right and left side of my belly button. I had thought maybe it was my kidneys, but now not even drinking water is making this go away. I think its either kidney stones, gallstones, or appendisitis. I pee frequently, have no burning or pain when peeing, no fever, no nausea, no blood in my urine. Please help me!!!! Thank you. It seems like it is becoming more frequent and lasting longer each time except for the last episode I had saturday night. This is the first time I have had this lingering numbness. Please help me! Thank you.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:42 pm

Going by the description provided, the cause of your symptoms could be....
- recurrent appendicitis
- recurrent 'typhlitis' (Caecitis)- inflammation of the cecum - caused by bacteria or parasites.
- terminal ileitis
(caused by yersinia enterocolitica/Y. pseudotuberculosis
or campylobacter species).

A urinary cause also should be kept in mind (stone disease, UTI's).

So,work-up may include urinary cultures, stool microscopy, stool cultures,and certain serological tests.

|