Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: syrup smell, blood, leukocytes and glucose in 4y olds urine?

britface - Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:33 pm

my daughter is 4 years old and has recently started wetting the bed and her pants. she also can not make it to the potty. she has NEVER had any accidents since she has been potty trained. Her urine smells of pancake syrup and the doctor found blood, leukocytes and glucose in her urine. they are running some blood tests. we are waiting for the results now. i would love some advice. i am looking for any type of information about what could be wrong.
 Rhonda P, CEP - Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:39 pm

User avatar This may be her body's inablility to metabolize amino acids - leucine, isoleucine & valine. These three amino's are used by the body to build proteins and have to be taken in with our diets because our bodies can't make them by itself. Has your daughter been sick lately or had some type of stress on her body? Ask her Doctor about MAPLE SYRUP URINE DISEASE, it affects babies but sometimes children can have mild symptoms that respond to large doses of thiamine. Your Doctor is probably right on top of what ever is causing this but don't be afraid to ask questions and make sure you understand the answers, this just came to my mind.
 britface - Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:14 pm

Her dr. has ran some blood test that will take a while to come back. She also did a urine culture which did grow massive bacteria. She is currently taking septra 2 tsp 2x a day. The Dr. said a urine sample she sent off came back normal, she did test it for msud. That was at the top of her list. When my daughter was 6 mo. old she had a very bad UTI and ran a fever of 104. They did some ultrasounds of her bladder, kidneys and all. They said everything looked normal that she was just prone to getting UTI's. Gabby was sick just prior to all this starting. Thank you for your reply. We are investigating this possiblity.
 Rhonda P, CEP - Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:07 pm

User avatar Please, if you can, let me know what the outcome and treatment is so that I can "tuck it under my hat" in the case that this subject ever comes up again, I can share the information and knowledge you share with me.

|