Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Renal Failure

Question: Diabetes and creatine level

dobean - Wed Jul 09, 2003 4:10 pm

Please explain what is the normal creatine level and what it has to do with diabetes and kidney function? Thanks :?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Jul 10, 2003 1:49 pm

User avatar Creatinine is a substance that is readily filtered by the kidneys. Since it is neither actively reabsorbed nor is actively secreted in the urine via specific cells in the kidneys, it is taken as a good measure for the overall filtration ability of the kidneys and hence an indication of overall kidney function. Actually for the creatinine levels to rise in blood (which means they are not being filtered outside the body into the urine), more than 40% of the kidneys must have stopped working.
Diabetes is a disease known to affect the small vessels of the body possibly by affecting the lipid balance in the body. These vessels become hard and tight so that less blood passes through them leading to a decrease in blood supply reaching the tissues. One of the tissues known to be affected by this condition is the kidney tissue. This leads to a disease known as Klimesteil Wilson Syndrome.

Normal levels for an
adult female: upto 1.1mg/dL (SI: 97 umol/L).
adult male: upto 1.2mg/dL (SI: 106).
 MunchkinsDad - Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:38 pm

Hi!
I have been just diagnosed with diabetes. It was a physical before a back operation. Now I cannot have it till everything is normal.
My triglycerides are 3000
Blood sugar 338
Creatine +1
Liver function above normal
I read this post and had a question... Could I have a liver disease that is causing my creatine level and tri's to go to 3000? I exersise very regularly and these results are horrible for the activities I do. It doesnt make sense and that is why I would like to find out what is causing these horrible results.
I had been on a lo carb diet for some time and then went off it 6 months ago because of weightlifting and now I am back on it.
I thought I was relatively healthy, I have been weightlifting 3 times a week for 7 months am 230lbs ( there is some fat still to get rid of). No work because of my back condition due to a car accident.
I also wanted to take a creatine suppliment for weightlifting but am not sure if I should because my level was +1
Can you help?
Thanks!
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:17 pm

User avatar Dear MunchkinsDad,

i suppose that the samples of triglycerides were taken after at least 12-13 hours of fasting.

High triglycerides can be expected in patients with diabetes. The reason for it is inuslin deficiency. It is part of the metabolic derangement that occurs in diabetes. Once your diabetes is under better control, it should come down, if not, you have to take medications to bring the triglycerides down, otherwise, you carry the risk of having pancreatitis with such high figures.

Were you taking any steroids then when you had these samples taken? Were you having any symptoms before that or totally accidentally found when you were having the pre-op evaluation?

Regarding what you mentioned as creatine level, did you mean creatinine level? Creatinine level is a blood test that is done to check for kidney function. i am not sure what you meant by +1. It has to have a figure and the lab should give the range of normal values and the units used as well because there are 2 ways in expressing creatinine levels and the values are really different.

If this is creatinine level that you meant and if it is 1, this is normal.

Regarding whether or not to take creatine, please, consult with your doctor before taking any medications or supplements.

About creatine, your kidneys have to be absolutely normal to be able to take creatine in order to be able to clear the additional creatine that is there during the loading dose. It looks like your kidney functions are normal. If your doctor decides that it is safe for you to take creatine then you have to make sure you are really very well hydrated particularly during the loading period.

MunchkinsDad - Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:36 am

"Hi!
Thanks for your response!
I had no idea what so ever that I had a problem, in fact, I would brag that I was as healthy as could be.
The Dr. did the physical and said he would call about the blood work but everything looked good for the back operation.
Before I got into my car he ran me down and said he had to talk to me more because they just faxed the blood work. Diabetes... put me on a pill and wanted more blood work which is when I found about about the high tri's and such.
No steroids! I just lift weights for excersise, fat loss and muscle building. Recreational kind of thing. I read that protien drinks help and so I had been taking that and getting ready to take creatine.
Yes it was creatinine 1.2
I did fast.
Ketones 1+
ALT 112
Ast 47
Its hard to believe I have diabetes but I am really concerned about any other problems that havent been found.
I am taking an herb to reduce the tri's."
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:36 pm

User avatar Dear MunchkinsDad,

At your age, the type of diabetes that you have is most probably type 2 diabetes which means that you have a genetic predisposition to have diabetes espeically if one or both of your parents or if any of your siblings have diabetes.

i think you are doing the right decision by continuing to exercise and lead a healthy life style. If you are going to take any herbal preparations, i personally don't have any objections to that on a condition that you tell your doctor about that supplement and that he makes sure that it does interact with any of the other medications that you are taking. Regarding taking creatine, i don't see a problem but you will have to tell your doctor about that, too.

You will have to be following with your doctor regarding your diabetes on a regular and close basis. You will have to take medications to protect your kidneys against diabetes, you will have to have eye examinations on regular basis to make sure that diabetes has not affected your eyes and you will have to make sure that your blood pressure and cholesterol profile are under strict control.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped and if you have any concerns, don't hesitate to post them.

MunchkinsDad - Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:55 pm

Thank You Dr for your reply.
My Dr. sais to stop taking the protien drinks and any other muscle enhancing products. I do not agree with him about that, but he says if you are not going to make money, don't take all the pills.
I found some other herbal pills to help me stay off of perscription drugs for the diabetes. It is really interesting if you were to look up the 2 pills I am trying out to master this disease.
Gimnema and billberry.

My goal is still to increase muscle size and I want to know what you have found in your experience with dealing with diabetics. Would it be advantageous or a waste of time for me to use suppliments such as creatine and whey protine in my diet(with my disease) and expect results?
I have heard that with diabetes it is very hard to lose weight and/or gain muscle mass.
Thanks!
MKD

|