Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: Dull Right Flank Pain & Frequent Urination

Cherry88 - Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:36 am

This pain all started exactly one month ago. The first experience with this pain was what I would call intense pain. I went to bed one night feeling absolutely fine, then woke up 2-3 hours later with intense pain in my right flank area (also had the urgency to urinate although little came out when I went to the toilet, nausea, vomitting). I took pain killers and waited around 1-2 hours before calling the Emergency 24 number. They booked me an appointment to go in around an hour after I called, and they tested my blood sugar, urine, blood pressure, pregnancy test, and examined my abdominal area. The only thing they found was some blood in my urine and they said it was most likely renal colic and sent me home with pain killers. The pain killers took the edge off the pain, and all in (from when I first woke up with the pain) it must have lasted about 6 hours until I was nearly pain free. A couple of hours later I had the pain again but much more dull, and I went to the doctors who took blood and urine (both showed fine so no infection was present at the time). He booked me a scan which I had last week, and I just received the results - no kidney stones, which is what they were testing me for.

What I am wondering is, is it possible for a ct scan to miss kidney stones? Also while they checked the scan images for kidney stones would they also have checked for things such as appendicitis and looked at my liver and gall bladder? As I am not sure of whether I should ask to have those areas tested in case they have already looked at those?

Anyway my main concern is that I am still having pain and frequent urination. It is always worse in the evenings - unsure why? I am having trouble sleeping because of it (I can't sleep on my sides and this is how I usually would sleep). I am also having ache in my left flank area now too, but it is not as bad as my right side. Here are my current symptoms:

* Dull cramp ache that does not go away - is very mild at some points of the day and very uncomfortable at other times of the day.
* Feeling very tired.
* Frequent urination throughout the day but especially in the evening.
* My sides have a swollen sensation and is tender to touch or put any sort of pressure on.
* I get very sharp stabbing pains a few times a day which then makes the pain much worse for a few hours afterwards.
* I think I am still having blood in my urine. Can't see it in the toilet but when I wipe, the urine on the tissue is sometimes a light pinky browny colour.

Thanks in advance.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:19 am

Although the CT scan may not show stones, they may still exist or might have been passed during the colic. Helical CT is considered the best modality for identification of urinary stones. But even helical CT is known to miss very small stones < 2-3 mm size.

The other possible scenario to be considered in such cases is a "clot colic", wherein, the colic is caused by a clot.

You need to have the basic labs, and a urine culture to exclude any underlying urinary tract infection. A plain film of the KUB region sometimes, may come handy in situations like this.If no stones are found, and if your symptoms should continue, you would need a full urological work-up.

|