Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Nephrology Symptoms

Question: Severe Kidney Pain (started left side & continued to right)

sandinid10 - Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

I started to have lower back pain right underneath my ribs starting Friday night
(it is now Saturday night). I plan on seeing my doctor Monday morning but the pain
has spread to my other side which I think is my other kidney. I've had no pain
or blood with urination maybe a little but of stinging which subsided around a week ago, my stool is soft and light brown which is a little abnormal for me (that has been going on for 2 weeks maybe). The pain is dull, hurts when I move or
take a deep breath and is only severe at night. I just want to know if I'll be
okay until Monday morning when my doctor's office is open? I've had UTI's before
and I've never left them untreated to the point where I'd get a kidney
infection. I have a feeling it may be a kidney infection but will I be okay until Monday? How long can you keep it untreated? I'm just nervous because the pain has moved from my left side and continued to the right. Thank you for taking time to read this.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:44 am

It is not very clear from your description the exact location of your pain. However, there is a possibility that it could be a fixed renal pain.I suggest that you should consult your doctor without delay and have your renal functions tested first. The next step would be an ultrasound examination to exclude hydronephrosis and to look for any calculi.

Hydronephrosis with any of the following may turn out to be an emergency.
- Fever / chills,
- Diabetes Mellitus,
- immunosupression,
- oliguria / Anuria,
- solitary Kidney.

Thus, as long as there is no suspicion of a pyonephrosis, there is no acute emergency.You must get investigated without much delay.

|