Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: Low creatine level

redwingsis - Sun Aug 24, 2003 11:23 am

Currently I am participating in Drug Court due to an unfortuate situation where I was
in the wrong place at the wrong time. To complete and graduate out of this program,
I had to participate in a drug rehab program, test weekly for ANY kind of drugs (Alcohol
included) for six months with NO positive test results. I have finished my rehab program
and complied completely with everything the court has requested. To date, I have had
NO positive drug tests. However, just as I was about to graduate from this program,
the Judge threw me in jail for 2 days and made me start all over again for having a low
Creatine level (20.5mg/dL). She (the judge) accused me of flushing my system with
large amounts of water. Something I most certainly did not do. I was shocked. Six
weeks later she remanded me to jail again for having an 18.5 level. I tried to tell her
that I didn't do what she was accusing me of but to no avail. Again, I had to start my
program all over again. I have no medical ins. or doctor but I did go to an Urgent Med
Clinic and questioned this and why it was happening. The doctor there told me it could
be because I drink iced tea daily and said to cut back. But she also discovered that I had
hypertension and put me on Propanolol 40mg. I went back to court this last week
and almost got thrown in jail a third time because my Creatine level was 20.5 on my
last test. The judge's cutoff is 20.0 and under. She will not accept anything I say
and continues to accuse me of flushing my system. She's now ordered me to get
counseling on Creatine levels and why they mean that I'm flushing my system. I am
totally frustrated and depressed because I have not been drinking large amounts of
water like she claims. I don't drink water at all. If I try to tell her that, she accuses me
of lying to the court and is threatening me with being remanded to jail again. I don't
know what to do. I can't control my Creatine level and never know each time I drug
test if it's going to get me thrown in jail again. I can control the abstinance from any
drugs but what's up with this Creatine garbage. Even when it's in her acceptable
range, it's still only around 38.3 mg/dL and she considers that suspicious. What's
wrong with me? I am worrying myself sick. I'm under extreme stress about
this, which plays havoc with my blood pressure. Help!!!!
 corrina - Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:48 pm

My sister is going through a program where she has to get tested 3 times per week. The program thinks that she is trying to delute her pee because her creatine level is low. My sister has been clean for about seven mths and can't understand why her creatine level is low. Due to her being at 20 since her release date from jail they sent her back becacuse they think she is using. My sister is frustrated because she is doing good, trying to get her son back but now can't do anything about since she is behind bars again. Now she is behind bars again the social workes are making it harder for her to get her son back due to her past. She set up an appt. with the clinic but the clinic can't see her until 3 days later but the program that tested her wouldn't accept that.
My faimly is in pain and can't believe what is happening. Our family needs help too, what can we do to beat the system.

|