Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Nephrology Symptoms

Question: urinalysis

angie23 - Wed May 04, 2005 7:59 pm

If my urinalysis came back clear after the dipstick tested positive for trace blood, should I still be concerned? Or should I still be trying to find out why they keep finding red blood cells in my urine?. I don't understand this test well enough...if something came back on the urinalysis is that when they start exploring further?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:41 pm

User avatar Dear angie23,
When the urine looks normal and blood is detected only by microscopic examination, the condition is known as Microscopic haematuria. A normal individual can excrete small amount of blood in urine daily ( up to one million red blood cells (RBC) in the urine each day) and the condition is not considered hematuria.

In females, hematuria is common due to the high incidence of urinary tract infection (due to their short urethra). Urinary tract infection is usually associated with burning micturition, frequency and urgency.

Other conditions that lead to hematuria include
Kidney and ureteric stones , in which pain (colicky ) is usually present.
Kidney disease, such as nephritis .
Medications such as warfarin, aspirin, ibuprofen and naproxen.

Since you had a sporadic single spisode of traces of blood in urine, the condition seems to be not serious. If the condition is repeated or persists or associated with any other symptoms suggestive of pathological cause.

Iif any of these conditions are suspected, your doctors would recommend you one or more of the following tests , after complete history and physical examination,
Urine tests (urinalysis), in this case not only to check for blood in urine but also for pus cells which if present indicate the presence of infection. Urine Culture is to be considered in this condition.
Blood tests to check also for infection and to rule out any systemic causes of bleeding tendency.
Kidney, ureter and bladder-imaging with (IV) or without dye stenography or X- ray, to detect stones or any masses.
If no cause is found but the condition is persistent or increasing, Cystoscopy, is recommended to visualize the urethra and bladder,
Keep on follow up with your doctor and update him with any new symptoms.
Best of luck,

|