News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Nephrology Symptoms

Question: Painful lump left flank?

jtf2002 - Sat May 14, 2005 11:17 am

For the past year I have had painful lumps on my left flank these lumps have started to make me feel ill when bending over too much or when I exert myself. The lumps are quite large maybe an inch and a half long and an inch in diameter I can feel them with my hands but they are not visible on the surface. I have a history of systs on my skin such as polinoidal syst and acne systs in my growing and armpits. I went to see a doctor this week who has sent me for biopsy on monday may 16th. He didn't give me any ideas as to what it could be.
My first question is should I have a ct scan first and does a biopsy pose any risks of spreading whatever it is?
Are there any questions I should ask the surgen that I will see on monday? He is the same doctor that helped me with my Polinoidal syst.
I would also like to know what some of the possibilities are so I can do some research on my own by compairing symptoms.
I do not have any insurance so any research I can do on my own will be helpfull? thanks john
 Dr. S. Adhikari - Sat May 14, 2005 2:03 pm

Hi! It's difficult to decide by history alone what might be the cause of your lumps. The fact that they are not visible from the skin surface excludes a cutaneous origin. Just check out if you have a chronic problem of constipation or if you are having urinary problems. The etiology might range from an innocuous condition to quite serious ones. A biopsy is a good option but a CT scan in the first place would have been more informative.
Best wishes....

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here