Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: Creatinine level testing

hodgelodge - Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:20 pm

Dear Doctors, I am a 52 yr old boat repairer that got addicted to crack cocaine. I succesfully completed a 28 day residential rehab. I am in the local Drug Court program because of a possession charge. I am randomly tested for drug use and have now twice been acused of "dilluting" or "dillution" ?? I have ceased using drugs (including legal drugs) since April. I asked the lab tech that performs the urine analysis what is measured or what is the finding in my urine that is dilluted?? He said this. " There are a million things you can put in your body to mask your drug use. I tested your urine 3 times and every test showed no creatinine. Creatinine loss is the proof that you introduced some kind of masking product and that is what we call a dillution. We know you are using and consider a test with no creatinine positive." I asked if there are any foods I could be eating or drink that could lower my creatine to which he replied "NO" I asked if there was an illness or physical condition that could lower my creatinine and again "NO". I read an article that suggested that individuals creatine levels vary and a blood test or repeated blood tests are the only method to establish an individuals creatine and once ones natural levels are known, only then could drug testing measuring creatinine level against normal (for the individual) be valued as ??possible?? use. I am being sanctioned severely for dilluted tests and don't known what to stop doing or start doing to stay out of trouble. I take nothing to mask drug use that isn't occurring!!!! H E L P. cbh
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:15 am

User avatar It is physically impossible to have no creatinine.
 lt8i6 - Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:08 pm

Why don't you start taking creatine so you don't have this problem anymore
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:22 am

User avatar We are discussing creatinine levels not creatine. I would not advise you to take creatine at all.

|