News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Renal Failure

Question: severe swelling in legs,ankles,and feet.

puntin1919 - Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:45 pm

i am 43 years old, i had kidney stones when i was 20, and have had multiple repeat kidney infections, i have random pain in my kidneys at any given time, but mostly my right kidney gives me pain. I also swell up in my legs, feet ankles, stomach area, severly. when i swell it takes several days of staying off my feet, for the swelling to subside, and it returns frequently, there is some pain with the swelling in my legs and ankles. could this be a sign of kidney failure? my father was on dialysis for 3 years and just died of kidney failure. he also swelled and had multiple kidney infections.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:28 am

User avatar Hi puntin1919,
Symptoms such as yours may be related to impaired renal function, cardiac function, etc.
I would suggest taking into consideration your family history that you have an evaluation by your physician for renal function studies. This is very important for you to do as your kidneys filter out waste products and you may become very ill if this is actually the causative factor.
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 nity72 - Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:54 am

my dear : swelling of the lower limp if on both side it should be taken seriously any way it may be related to kidney liver or heart problems .it need s good medical evalution of the 3 organs mention als u must get abdominal x-ray for kidney ureter and bladder , abdominal ultreasound and a complete blood investigations ,fbc , urea creatinine,na k, po4,calcium ,uric acid ,serum albumin and total protien ,alt,these investigation mostly will clearfy the situation
good luke

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here