Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Nephrotic Syndrome

Question: symptoms of Nephrotic Syndrome

sran - Sun Oct 26, 2003 4:46 pm

Dear friends,

What are the symptoms of Nephrotic Syndrom? What are the current routin treatments for Nephrotic Syndrom?

Thanks for any comments.
:(
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:34 am

User avatar Sran,

Please check this page for a summary of clinical findings and a brief treatment overview of nephrotic syndrome.
Nephrotic Syndrome

Regards,
 sran - Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:08 pm

Dear Dr. Fouad,

Thank you for your information. I read the webpage you sent to me. It says glucorticoids are frequently used in the treatment. I want to know what is the reason of using glucorticoids in the treatment, i.e. what is the function of glucorticoids? Are there any negative effects on the patients? Any other methods in the treatment?

Regards,

Tamer Fouad, M.D. wrote:Sran,

Nephrotic Syndrome

Regards,

Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:21 pm

User avatar Sran,
Treatment of nephrotic syndrome depends primarily on the cause, however, it frequently involves the use the glucorticoids given over long periods of time. Especially in cases of minimal change disease. Here the role of steroids is to suppress the autoimmune basis for this disease. The use of cytotoxic agents maybe required in some cases (e.g. cyclophosphamide).
Dietary salt control, treatment of hypertension and hypercholestrolemia is also recommended. ACE inhibitors, in addition to controlling blood pressure have also been found to decrease the protein loss. Diuretics may help control the edema and the hypertension.
 sran - Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:50 pm

Dr. Fouad,

My nephew is 13 months old. The doctor said he got nephrotic syndrome and his symptoms are similar to the definition of nephrotic syndrome. The doctor suggests to use glucorticoids. My concern is that if there are any negative effects of glucorticoids on him since he is so young.

Thanks,
Sran

Tamer Fouad, M.D. wrote:Sran,

Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:01 pm

User avatar Do his tests fit the diagnosis of nephrotic syndrome? What is the level of protein in urine? If the diagnosis is sure (as outlined in the page i referred you to) then glucorticoids is the drug of choice in treating nephrotic syndrome in children as long as we strongly suspect the cause to be minimal change disease of the kidneys. The results of this type of therapy are excellent and a large number of patients are cured forever on it. The benefit from taking the drug in this case outways the risks of its negative effects.
 sran - Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:35 pm

Dr. Fouad,

His 24 hour urinary protein test shows 1.21g. He is 13 months old and his weight is about 25 lbs. He also showed hyperlipidaemia and oedema (although not serious). Is that serious?

Thanks,
sran

Tamer Fouad, M.D. wrote:Do his tests fit the diagnosis of nephrotic syndrome? What is the level of protein in urine? If the diagnosis is sure (as outlined in the page i referred you to) then glucorticoids is the drug of choice in treating nephrotic syndrome in children as long as we strongly suspect the cause to be minimal change disease of the kidneys. The results of this type of therapy are excellent and a large number of patients are cured forever on it. The benefit from taking the drug in this case outways the risks of its negative effects.

Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:49 pm

User avatar Nephrotic syndrome has a very good outcome with treatment. Go ahead with your doctor's recommendations. There are very few choices in my opinion. The steroids will only be taken for some time and will be tappered as you stop them.

Good luck

|