Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Nephrology Symptoms

Question: CONFUSING SYMPTOMS.PLEASE HELP!PAIN IN BOTH KIDNEYS/BLADDER

MDB - Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:57 pm

I am a 44 year old male.For about 3 years ,give or take a year,I have had pain in both of my kidneys(deep pain/ache in back and sides)and bladder irritation.I have no pain urinating. At night, I get up 3 to 5 times with the urge to urinate(my bladder feels especially irritated generally accompanied with mild to alot of kidney pain).I felt nothing especially tender when the doctor pushed on my stomach area,back and sides.However,there is some tenderness pressing on the bladder area.A urinalysis was done and the results given to me on the very same visit came up normal.The doctor seemed unsure, but thought it might be a bladder/kidney infection undetectable through urinalysis(Which she says happens sometimes with males).I told her I was afraid of a more serious kidney disease.She responded by having a "kidney functionallity test" done by means of a blood draw.The blood draw was done on wednesday, July 6 2005.She told me, if it came up abnormal they would call me in 1 or two days from then.I have received no calls so far as of todays date saturday,July 9 2005.The doctor did prescribe for me to take Bactrim DS 800-160 2 tablets a day for 3 weeks.I used to take alot of excedrin in the past, 3 pills when I had a headache,which was about a couple of times a week.This was before I had the kidney problems .When the kidney problems began,if I took excedrin it would increase the pain in my kidneys. Thus, several months ago, I started to eliminate taking excedrin.My questions are;
1.Are these symptons of a more serious kidney disease etc.. or is it more likely just an infection?
2.What does a kidney functionality test able to indicate, as far as a kidney disorder/disease.What kind of kidney abnormalitys will it not show, that may be present?

Thank you for your help!
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:04 am

User avatar A blood test measures the amount of toxins in the urine, because the kidneys are a filter, not just the liver. If levels of these toxins are high, indicates the kidney are not working effectively.

Have there been any imaging tests? Sonograms, etc.

You can also have problems if you are chronically dehydrated as most people are. If you drink caffeine, (cofffee, tea, soda) it dehydrates you. You must drink at minimum 32 oz. of water a day.

Have you had a postate exam? Enlarged prostates (BPH) can inhibit the flow of urine as well.
 MDB - Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:52 pm

Thank you for responding.The following is answers to your medical questions you asked:

I have not been given a prostrate exam nor a sonogram.The doctor said she wanted to try and see if its an infection and prescribed Bactrim for 3 weeks.She was not forthcoming when asked "what would be done next if bactrim doesn't bring relief".

I have been a heavy coffee drinker and its been the same with sodas.I stopped drinking the sodas a few months ago and coffee last week and have been drinking alot of water every day.I have been taking Bactrim for 5 days.I wished I knew when you typically get relief if what I have is truly an infection.The first few days of taking Bactrim I had severe kidney pain, than that subsided. Than my bladder became severely irritated for a few days with little pain in my kidneys.Today I drank alot of water and was doing fine with little pain in my bladder or kidneys (which they will do that from time to time).Than I was working outside and got dehydrated (not drinking for a few hours)and my kidneys really started to hurt than the pain subsided some when I drank alot of water.I have not received a call from the Doctors office so my kid?ney function test and urinalyises may have been normal since they said would call in 1or 2 days if any abnormalities show up. That was last wednesday.

When does a male typically feel relief when prescribed bactrim for 3 weeks if you have a bladder & kidney infection?Should I be feeling some relief after 5 days of the 3 weeks?I still get up 3-5 times a night.What are the symptoms of a more serious kidney disease
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:55 pm

User avatar I really don't know why you're having the pain intermittently. Keep drinking the water and no caffeinated beverages, though.

It depends upon how severe the infection as to how long it takes to feel better. I'm not saying you have a severe infection; just keep taking the medicine.

If you are still getting up several times a night to urinate, you might also want to be checked for an enlarged prostate, which is very common in middle aged and older men.

|