News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: BUN/Creatinine Ratio

mickapoo - Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:43 pm

Can anyone tell me what is the normal value for BUN/Creatinine ratio? I was told that a ratio of 21:1 is considered normal, while I have read online that 10:1 is normal, with ratios as high as 20:1 indicating dehydration and above indicated possible kidney failure.

With this conflicting information, I'm not sure what to believe! If there is a medical professional who can help guide me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:54 am

User avatar A BUN/creatinine ratio can help your health professional predict which conditions, such as dehydration, may be causing abnormal BUN and creatinine levels and decreased kidney function.
As for the normal values it depends on the age. For infants younger than 1 year the BUN/creatinine ratio normally reaches up to 1:30. For anyone older than 12 months it is normal in the range from 1:10 up to 1:20.
High BUN/creatinine ratios occur with sudden (acute) kidney failure, which may be caused by conditions such as shock or severe dehydration. An obstruction in the urinary tract (such as from a kidney stone) can cause an elevated BUN/creatinine ratio. A very high BUN/creatinine ratio may be caused by bleeding in the digestive tract or respiratory tract.
A low BUN/creatinine ratio may be associated with a diet low in protein, a severe muscle injury called rhabdomyolysis, pregnancy, cirrhosis, or syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion (SIADH). SIADH sometimes occurs with lung disease, cancer, diseases of the central nervous system, and the use of certain medications.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here