Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: cyst found by ultrasound; how serious is it?

victrola - Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:48 pm

I just found out from my gp that I need to see a urologist because they found a cyst on my left kidney. What questions should I ask the urologist? How serious is this condition? I've done some searching on the net about it, but what I've found doesn't really describe me. Otherwise, I'm healthy, not in renal failure.... :?:
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:02 pm

User avatar Renal cysts are abnormal dilatations of the kidneys, which result in the formation of fluid-filled sacs which are visible on ultrasound or CT scan. Renal cystic disease encompasses a broad category of kidney diseases. Some of these conditions are genetic, and may results in chronic renal failure. However, most cysts are benign growths that do not need to be treated.

Simple cysts are found in at least 50 percent of adults over the age of 50 and are a benign condition. The reason for their development is unknown, but it is likely a degenerative process related to aging. These cysts are usually asymptomatic and are found upon imaging of the kidneys for an unrelated complaint. It is usually easy to differentiate between a simple cyst and a renal cancer based upon their appearance on ultrasound or CT scan. Sometimes, this differentiation is less clear and may require additional imaging studies or other procedures.

You should ask him about the seriousness of the situation.

|