News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: why are creatin levels important?

Kacheri - Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:33 pm

What are creatin levels and why are they important? What does creatin do? Why is it important for a Type II Diabetic. What level is normal? What should I do if it is high or low? I am guessing from the other postings that it may have something to do with my right flank pain that I get from time to time, especially when I don't take my Glucovance. Do hormone levels have a factor in my creatin levels? My testosterone level is 102. I was once diagnosed in having poly cystic ovarian syndrome, is having a high creatin level yet another sympton of PCOS? What can I do? I am 34 obese female. I know that I need to lose weight and the past month and a half I have changed my eating habits to fruits,vegetables and protein. No more cookies,pasta.potatoes,McDonald's or processed food and I have gained weight instead of losing it. Please Help. Thank You.

Kacheri
 R. Zein, Pharm D - Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:36 pm

User avatar Serum creatinine level or /and "creatinine clearance" are different ways of determining kidney function.

Creatinine is a protein produced by muscle and released into the blood. The amount produced is relatively stable in a given person. The creatinine level in the serum is therefore determined by the rate it is being removed, which is roughly a measure of kidney function.

If kidney function deteriorates, you will see the creatinine level will rise.
normal creatinine levels are 0.5-1.5 mg/dL

There is a relationship which exists between Diabetes Mellitus and raised creatinine levels. Usually this situation arises when DM is chronic and uncontrolled., this situation is called as diabetic nephropathy meaning kidney disease due to DM. Initially this presents as protein in urine but as the disease progresses creatinine level goes up. This type of kidney failure is irreversible and these patients need dialysis and renal transplant.

glucovance (metformin) should not be used if creatinine is greater is elevated .

the main point is to control diabetes to prevent further complications, such as end stage renal disease, and over all kidney problems including infections.

hope that helps

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here