News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Nephrology Symptoms

Question: severe muscle pain, tightening, and pulling

kt7373 - Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:03 am

Lately I've been having very bad muscle pain in my arms and legs. It started in my arms about a month ago, it started to hurt and feel tight in my right arm, by the end of one day at work I couln't move it, it hurt and felt like rubber bands snapping. within a few days it began in my left arm, it felt stiff as a board and numb. I took a week off work and began wearing splints, which help, they don't take the pain away but they make it so I am able to work without much interference. however they still hurt a lot. It had begun to start in my legs though, the same feelings, pain tightening, pulling, they feel like they are going to tear and I can't stand on them now without switching from one foot to the other and having to sit down. after i rest after work i am able to go the next day but it is getting harder and harder each day. my electrolytes were fine, x rays were also fine. it feels as though my bones in my hands and wrists ache and the other day my knees were very stiff, my right knee was soo stiff and hurt that I could not bend it at all, but it returned to normal after a few days. I've had a lot of pain in upper spine and near the shoulders for the about the past year, but i thought that may have just been a posture thing. myt hands and feet have always fallen asleep a lot, but it seemed to get a lot worse a few years ago. a few years ago my lips were feeling numb a lot also. i am going for an EMG in a few days, what will this tell me, and should i make an appointment with another doctor to check for anything else? the doctor wanted to do MRI's of the neck and brain but I don't have any medical insurance, is there any cheaper way to check these areas. Do you have any ideas? Thank you.
 R. Zein, Pharm D - Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:32 pm

User avatar dear
i was wandering whether you have talked to your doctor about a condition known as fibromyalgia....the way you described your pain all over could be due to that....

i hope you always feel better.
thank you
 Irishgirl65 - Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:45 pm

I am going through the same aches. My hands, arms and feet swell, ache and have no strength. It feels sometimes when I stand that my ankle is busted. Sometimes my lips go numb also.

I am having blood tests for Rhematoid arthritis. I sitll feel it is somehow related to my kidney problems. When it flares up, I am going to keep a diary. In the summer my legs ached so bad I thought my electrolytes were off but they were fine. One time I has charlie horses in both calfs and wanted to die, that time my electrolytes were off and they discovered my body had a vitamin D deficency in which I could not absorb calcium.

Anyways, frustrated as all hell, do not think it is fibramylagia, but who knows. You hate to complain but your quality of life sucks. Keep a diary and track what you eat and what you were doing during the flare ups, that is what I am doing. If I find out what I have I will let you know. Vice Versa/

Cheers and good luck.

TD

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here