News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Nephrology Symptoms

Question: Nephrologist or Urologist?

AG64 - Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:50 am

I'm not sure who to see. I have had recurrent UT infections for years, especially the past 2. I have a lot of pain in my right back (internally, not muscular) just under rib about in the middle of right side (radiates to lower also). My right ankle keeps swelling, especially by evening. A year ago both ankles swelled severely and I had a kidney infection. The swelling went away after several antibiotic treatments for infection. I have had an MRI and Cat scan on my kidney. No identifyed problems. I have had an Xray on my ankle and been tested for rhrumatoid factor. No problems there either. The pain feels like it is in my kidney. The swelling of my ankle is present when the pain is present. Any other tests that I might try to see what this is? I know that something is wrong. Thanks.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:35 am

User avatar Hi AG64,
Have you had any urine studies, for example, 24 hour urine collection? Have you had an IVP (kidney study)? If not those would be two suggestions as well as having an evaluation by a nephrologist if either of the above tests show abnormalities.
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 AG64 - Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:09 pm

No I have had neither of the tests (IVP or 24 hr urine collection). My doctor was going to test uric acid levels to check for gout. :cry: Thanks.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here