Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: Question I never think of at drs office

jewelucy2 - Mon Dec 22, 2003 1:41 am

The Urine smell is different and I smell it immediately when I sit down to urinate. I believe it smells in my underwear, i sometimes leak when I don't make it quickly to the bathroom. I have though I have smelled that same smell on me when not urinating and dressed. It embarrasses me. I cannot tell if others smell it. That isn't frequent' but when I go to the bathroom. Heavy perfumy smell. nauseating really. Rarely dark yellow or other colors. What could be causing it? I forget to ask the doctor or mention it. Have bowel problems also. take things for that. stool softner, magnesium, and sometimes, laxatives. I don't think related but???
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:57 pm

User avatar Jewelucy,
I think its very important that you tell your doctor about your symptoms. You seem to have what is known as urinary incontinence which is a treatable condition. Please go to our incontinence page to learn more:

Click here
 jewelucy2 - Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:50 pm

Dr. Fouad,

How can that account for the strong odor? Could that be from Lipitor and my Liver?
I am not incontinent all the time, I wake up each two hours during my sleep time to go to the bathroom though. I am having to go more frequently. I spurt a little before going at times when I don't get to the restroom quick enough but not enough to show beyond my underwear and not each time.

Thank you for your reply and expected reply. I tend to forget all the things bothering me when I get to the doctor's office.....
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:51 am

User avatar In the continent woman the bladder neck and urethra are supported in part by the vaginal wall and in part by the muscles of the area (levators). Anterior vaginal wall relaxation causes urethral hypermobility, usually due to aging and/or estrogen deficiency or a prior traumatic delivery or pelvic surgery.
Among noninstitutionalized women 60 years of age and older, 25 to 30% have urinary incontinence daily or weekly, and approximately half of institutionalized women are incontinent more than once a day.
The strong urine smell and the frequency seem to be related to a possible urinary tract infection which women are more prone to have than men due to their relatively shorter urethra.
 jewelucy2 - Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:35 am

thank you very much for your time and i have an appt at the end of the month. I will make a list of things for my doctor. They all seem quick to give me yet another pill.
The gyn has ordered fosamax for me. I had a bone density test which she claims shows my bones are just beginning to thin. I hope that is not another liver questionable medication. I already take 40 mg of lipitor and 4mg of avandia Luckily, I am not institutionalized yet and have not had this problem in public but I am not sure if I smell to others. I will have them take a sample to check. thanks again.

|