News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: Protein in Urine / UTIs / Hematology Protein S Deficient

Reynolds706 - Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:58 am

OK... I have a question... I've had many UTIs in the past year. I was most recently diagnosed with a UTI this past Monday. I was staying moist in the perineal area and asked for a u/a check in the physician's office on Monday. I don't know all of the results, but the physician did state that I had protein in my urine and started me on Bactrim DS BID for a UTI. My question is a two part question.

First, what is the significance of protein in the urine --- what could it be an indicator of in light of having multiple UTIs this past year (probably 5 or 6 since last November)

Second, In April of this year, I was diagnosed with Bilateral pulmonary embolisms (blood clots of ths lungs) secondary to a Protein S deficiency. Would there be any correlation to a hematological protein S deficient while having too much protein in my urine? I'm not sure if these two type of proteins are related or not. It's just a hypothetical question in case there could be a correlation. I'm not familiar with all the different kinds of proteins the body has.

Thanks for taking the time to answer thise questions for me.
 Reynolds706 - Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:25 am

OK.. just got of the hospital yesterday for acute abdominal pain which apparently is related to UTIs. I was admited Sunday after having been in the urologist office on Friday who claimed my urine was fine and I had a post-void residual of 90 cc but it was nothing to be concerned about. While in the hospital my U/A once again showed protein in the urine and 1+ Bacteria.... I'm not sure of anything because I did not actually see the report. A CT of my abdomen and pelvis was done in the hospital, but the only thing it showed was a cyst on the lower pole of the right kidney 2.5 cm in size.

I did do some interesting reading last night that I'd like to mention. I was reading on nephrotic syndrome and it mentioned that one of the characteristics was protien in the urine and a side effect or complication could be pulmonary embolisms.

Anyone familiar with nephrotic syndrome enough to know what other signs and symptoms I should look for? Any advice on things to tell or ask the doctor when i go for my visit? It's been my experience that sometimes people must PROD to get anything done... I'm to that point if I must.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here