Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: Elevated Urinary Creatinine

Toot - Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:07 pm

I am a healthy, physically fit 40-year old male (170 lbs, 5'11in), no health problems and no abnormal lab results with the exception of an elevated creatinine in the urine and elevated protein in the urine. My creatinine level was 405.1 mg/dl (normal is 27-260) and my protein level was 33 (normal is 0-30). My blood creatine level was normal: 1.1 (normal 0.7-1.5). I did exercise (cardio and weights) about an hour prior to giving my urine sample and had not had anything to drink in about 2 hours, so I may have been a bit dehydrated.

The purpose of my blood and urine test was to qualify for a life insurance policy. The insurance agency did not see any problems with the tests and granted the policy. I was just a bit worried about the abnormal creatinine. From what I have read, it sounds like it may be related to muscle mass and working out prior to the test, but I just wanted to confirm. Thanks.
 Tiger1440 - Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:26 pm

Urinary creatinine levels are extremely variable. They are dependent upon mean body mass and on age. Being dehydrated could also increase them. The fact that you worked out cardiowise and were not drinking at the time would definately cause you to be dehydrated. However, it would be wise in the future to drink plenty of water both before and during exercise.

|