Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Glomerulonephritis

Question: Prednisone

kcteach - Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:32 pm

I've been on prednisone for nearly 3 years now; it's the only thing that promotes remission for me, but as soon as I begin to taper off of it I flare right up and have a relapse-it happens every time. I've relapsed atleast 5 times within the course of nearly 3 years. So I was wondering, if it's the only thing that seems to keep me in remission- why am I being tapered off.
 DeLWolcott - Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:28 pm

Prednisone can cause damage throughout the body when taken for a long period. Steroids in general should only be used for limited times. I understand it is frustrating to have the one things that works to be taken away, but in the long run it is much safer. Hopefully another alternative can be found for you.
 andim - Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:52 pm

I am wondering how to taper my prednisone. I am currently on 5mg qd in the am for 6 weeks, and I can't deal with this drug, so I am going to stop. I am also on cellcept for MG, which I much prefer. I am not seeing any added benefit by adding the prednisone, so I would rather not have the side effects of prednisone. Do I need to taper to avoid adrenal insufficiency at this level? I was planning on 5 qod, for 1 week, then 2.5 qod for one week, then 1qod for one week and off. Is this reasonable? My doctor highly favors prednisone and minimizes the side-effects, so I cannot address this with him, but I do want to stop in a safe way. Any advice would be very helpful.

|