Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Nephrology Symptoms

Question: extreme kidney pain/no stones

zfelix - Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:12 pm

i've had lupus for the past 8 years. awhile back i had extreme kidney pain in my right kidney i went to the ER, and they thought it was a kidney stone, as well as i did. THey did a ultra sound and found nothing but traces of blood and also traces of blood in my urine. They had no explanation, cause i didn't have a stone. well now and then i have the same sharp quick pain there and there always seems to follow traces of blood in my urine, doesn't burn or doesn't hurt when someone pushes there. Yesterday i had a extreme sharp pain again that just knocks me over in pain and then suddenly just goes away there is a ache later but goes away in about a hour. Then i started bleeding again. Any suggestions? or anything once i go see my doctor that i might ask or mention>
Any help you can give me is appreciated!

Thank you,
Mandy
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:21 pm

User avatar Dear Mandy,

Thank you very much for using our website.

Having blood in the urine with kidney pain can be caused by:
1. Stones: This is the most probable diagnosis.
2. Renal vein thrombosis: In your case (lupus), one has to suspect it, but this is not the typical presentation as in addition to kidney pain and blood in the urine you must have proteins in the urine, your kidney functions shoud have gotten worse and you start having swelling in your legs.
3. Infection: You never said anything about the white cells in your urine and whether you have any bacteria or not.
4. Dissecting aortic aneurysm: This is unlikely as it usually has a progressive course not an intermittent one like your case.
5. Crystalluria: You have not told me whether you had crystals in your urine or not and if yes what kind as they can the cause of your recurrent kidney pain and blood in the urine.

My suggestion for you is to have a ct scan done to rule out stones and a doppler study (type of ultrasound) on the renal veins to rule out renal vein thrombosis.

Once more, thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

zfelix - Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:05 am

thank you so much, now at least i'll have some questions and suggestions to my doctor about this situation..

-Mandy :)
 winslow - Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:56 pm

Mandy-

I wasn't diagnosed with kidney stones until after my third episode. They have never shown up on plain xrays or ultrasounds but the blockages do show up on an IVP Nephratogram. My episodes always follow the same pattern: I have soreness in the area of my kidney for several days before the acute pain sets in. Nothing that interrupts my daily routine, but enough to make me aware of it. When the actual "attack" comes on I have steadily increasing pain and pressure in my back that usually becomes unbearable after about 45 mintues or an hour. At that point I either pass the stone into my bladder (which brings almost immediate relief) or my vision gets very blurry and I begin vomitting. This is usually when I head to the ER. They always find blood in my urine and my normally perfect blood pressure is always very high. But, like I said, nothing on the xrays. The doctors have offered the explanation that my stones are very small (2-3mm) and I have other calcium deposits that make them difficult to see. Makes me wonder how such tiny stones can cause such a painful blockage (mine have lasted anywhere from 2-12 hours). Strangely, while I have felt stones pass from my kidney to my bladder I have never felt one pass out of my bladder. This is a blessing from a pain perspective, but it also means that I have been unable to collect a stone for analysis.

Anyway. I thought this information might help you. Best of luck with it.
 Leslies - Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:55 am

I started to have a sharp quick pain in my mid right back about a month ago. The pain only lasted about a 2-3 seconds but it was enough to take my breath away. I would get the pain every few days so I went to get my urine checked for blood to rule out kidney stones. There was trace blood found in my urine yet the ulta sound showed nothing. The doctor thought perhaps I was passing a stone. 2 weeks later I went back to have my urine checked again...no blood found. They also gave me a full blood work up and found nothing. No explanation for the pain. Yesturday I had about 6-7 episodes of the same sharp pain so it seems to be occuring more frequently.

Mandy, did you ever find out what you had?

Doctors...Any ideas??
Thanks for you time.
Leslie[/b]

|