News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Nephrology Symptoms

Question: early morning flank pain with strong odor urine

onlinehelp - Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:51 am

Please help; when awakening in the mornings I have flank pain that goes laterally down both sides.

When I urinate my urine smells like cornflakes (seriously!!)

Sometimes this pain continues for an hour or two after getting out of bed; it is a sharp pain that increases when moving, stooping, beding or walking then it seems to get bette after being up awhild.

This pain is NOT across my lower back only laterally down both sides.

I wake up at least once every night to urinate.

What could this possibly be??

Thanks for your assistance.
 R. Zein, Pharm D - Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:44 pm

User avatar DEAR

the way you describe pain, especially flank pain, with a strong smell in your urine, might be indicative of urinary tract infection.

have you visited a doctor, did you have during these symptoms, or when they started some blood in your urine, and or fever.
i suggest that you see your doctor, since your symptoms are bothersome.
thank you , and i hope you feel better
 onlinehelp - Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:12 pm

Thanks for your reply:

I do have a documented kidney stone in right K; has been there about 3 or 4 years now was told not to worry unless it started to pass which I wouldn't be able to due to the size. Was told location of it was high in the meat of the K and not to be alarmed unless it begins to pass IF it ever does.

Last time it was checked it had increased in size to approx 10-12 CM at that time and this was approx a year and a half ago.

I had liptotripsy at that time but it didn't break it or dissolve it.

I'm now curious if this might be causing the problem.

I've just recently started experiencing nausea at times with last episode last night which 15mg of Reglan didn't relieve.

I also have this knawing pain in epigastric region when I'm nausated.

Could this possibly be caused by the kidney stone or stone(s)??

Thanks for your advice!!
 R. Zein, Pharm D - Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:20 pm

User avatar THANKS for your reply
having provided extra information, yes, your kidney stone problem might be causing this flank pain, and nausea.

due to the size of your stone, it might be better to remove them. talk to your doctor, and see what he/she might recommend.

thank you, and get well soon

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here