Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: Newly diagnosed! Many questions!

Brina - Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:53 pm

I'm hoping you can answer some of my questions. I'll try to be as brief and to the point as I can.

I just received a call from my gynecologists office, telling me that my Creatinine level is 1.62 and my Urea Nitro level is 29. When I calculate the GFR, the score is 36. From what I can tell, this puts me in Stage 3, kidney disease. She drew these levels based on my dexascan score which was -2.0. (I guess -2.5 is standard). I am 48, and had a total hysterectomy in 2000 secondary to endometriosis. She is following me as being post-menopausal. I have also been taking Prednisone for a year to control pain from recently diagnosed Polymyalgia Rheumatica. I have been on 20 mg for quite some time, and have tapered now to 5mg and am trying to get off completely. This was diagnosed clinically by my Neurologist as all the blood tests that would have typically been high were normal, i.e. Sed rate and so forth. The Prednisone, of course, dramatically improved my symptoms. Anyway, we would have thought that the Prednisone is the culprit for the abnormal dexascan, but my Dr. always covers all the bases with other workups. I will be seeing her this coming Thursday, the 10th, and am anticipating her referring me to a nephrologist.

One of my questions is this: I know that as of Nov '03 when I was doctoring with the PMR, my Creatinine was 1.1, and the Urea Nitro was 18. Based on these levels and what they are now, is this the pace of progression I can expect before I end up at Stage 4? This is all so new and shocking, and I wonder what would have happened had she not done this workup? I know I don't urinate as much as normal, but thought that this might be something to do with all the meds I'm on, and I don't drink as many fluids as I should, and also my urine can be strong at times, but I attributed that to the same thing, and that the Vit B-Complex I take causes the same signs.

2nd question: Do most patients have to wait until their kidney functions drop pretty low before starting dialysis..........I heard 10 percent. Could you receive a kidney from a living donor perhaps at my stage or early stage 4 to avoid dialysis? I know that people on dialysis lead normal lives, working and so forth, but with the 3 to 4 hours a day 3 times a week, I can't see where working full time is possible. I am very fortunate to work in MN, in health care, where in the building I work just a few floors down, is the Transplant Center, and one of the big names in the field!

Well, this isn't as short as I anticipated, but I guess that can be difficult to avoid when you are new!
Oh, I also have a history of seizure disorder since age 10, this has been under control since Aug '95.

Thanks for taking the time to read this...........I'll be looking forward to your reply!

Brina
 Dan Theman - Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:07 pm

First, to let you know, doctors rarely answer any posts here. Your condition sounds serious and you should be seeing a Nephrologist immediately. I am surprised your gynecologist didn't recommend it with those kidney scores. Don't think in terms of transplants/dialysis yet-they are not desirable alternatives. A nephrologist is MUCH better qualified to give you an opinion and possibly help preserve your kidney function depending on what is causing the kidney failure. Good luck.
 Brina - Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:21 pm

Thank you, Dan.
I believe that once my gynecologist got the lab results back she called me. So another week is going by before my appt; a total of two weeks since the labs were drawn. We have excellent Nephrologists here where I live, so I will push to see one very soon.
I'll keep you updated if you are interested.
Thanks for your reply!
Brina

|