Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: Question about 6 yr old son who is Type1 diabtetic

memorylane4ever - Sat Feb 28, 2004 8:05 pm

In November of 2003 we had to go into the ER to get re-hydrated due to he and I getting food poisoning. He wasn't in DKA, I just am always on top of his care so he doesn't end up in DKA when ill. There at the ER the doc did some routine labs on my son results are as follows:
Hemoglobin 14.7 High
Granulocytes 93.8% high
Lymphocyte 4.1% Low
Band 2 Low
Neutrophils 90 High
Chloride 97 Low
Glucose 336 High do to illness
BUN 19 High
BUN/CREAT Ratio 32 High

He was givien fluids, he ate after about an hour, then we went home.. He did very well

Then we ended up back into the hospital in ICU over night in Jan 04. He was non responsive to insulin, and basically we found that he was in need of more insulin than he had originally been on. So he did well over night we got new dosage and went home. But approx. 4 days prior to being put into hospital he had been having pain in abdomen so my husband took him in and they found a trace of blood in his urine, but they weren't real concened about it. Now here are the labs that were run in the hospital in Jan:
Chloride 96 LOw
MetHb 1.60 High
p02 70.00 low
HC03 26.6 High
BUN 23 High
Creatinine 0.5 Low
B/C Ratio 46 high

now being the mother that I am with him i worry about everything going on in his little body, and try to keep up with everything so he doesn'tend up with prob's down the road. Now he has it seems like on some of these tests risen in lab values. BUN and BUN/Creat Ratio, kidney wise is there anything that we need to be looking for with him that could be going on. He has been diabetic now for 3 yrs. These were the only times since dx's that he ever had to go into the hospital for anything. now his urine usually is clear, but he does foam up some.??? not sure what that means. Do we need to look into the BUN thing anymore or is this normal with them rising? Thank You for your time
 memorylane4ever - Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:52 am

Update: We went to a new doc, and his urine PH was high again, is this anything that means anything????? We went in because earlier in the morning when he went potty his urine has white foam on it, and the night before he was complaining of abdominal pain right above his penis, so we went ahead and had it checked. But there is no sign of infection......???
 momsdaone - Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:57 pm

did you ever get a reply? did they ever figure that out?

my 13 year old bun: creat ratio is 35. his bun is 21 and his creat 0.6. no one seems concerned. all his other lab tests came out normal with the exception of a high alk phos of 395. that is not worrisome as it is indicative of bone growth.

|