Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Nephrology Symptoms

Question: rta/fanconis and hypokalemia

bpangel3 - Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:13 pm

I'm 23 yr old female diagnosed with proximal rta (renal tubular acidosis), fanconis and severe chronic hypokalemia. the rta and fanconis is result of heavy metal poisoning. I have a history of frequent kidney stones and am on amiloride and slow k (8-16 mlqv) a day. I was on k-dur 20 mlqv x 12 a day but was unable to hold them down.

Lately, I have noticed my finger nails have been purple and my toe nails too. I am wondering if this may be related to anything renally. Also heavy palpitations and heaviness in my chest when I lay on my side. I currently self diagnosed a kidney infection, see my dr tuesday for antibiotics and have passed two stones in less then 2 weeks. Also, the current amount of potassium is not enough to keep my levels up, averaging between 2.5 to 3.0. Dietary potassium is not enough and I cannot take k-dur without vomitting and k-lor with vomitting due to the chloride. Any suggestions? In order to match the k-dur doseage I would require over half a bottle of slow k per day.

thank you :!:
 bpangel3 - Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:26 pm

I also forgot to ask, when I'm doing cardio exercises, my heart rate jumps into the 170's, 180's and sometimes higher, within a few minutes of starting. Is this somehow related? Could my repeated bouts of hypokalemia have caused permanent heart damage and should I be seen by a cardiologist to be sure? Is the exercise thing normal, even when accompanied by shortness of breath and chest pain. I have asthma as well.

|