News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Funny Smells

larapara - Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:19 pm

Hi,

I am a female/ 38 years old/ in good health. For the past few weeks I have been experiencing strong smells, mainly smoke although sometimes just a disgusting smell but my family and friends say there is no smell. Sometimes it is so strong it makes me gag.

Only other symptoms are recurrent night sweats.

I would feel stupid going to my doc and saying I can smell things which aren't there!

Any ideas?

lara

Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:30 pm

User avatar Dear Lara,

Thank you very much for using our website.

What you are experiencing can be categorized under hallucincations (if really is no smell and you are the only one who can smell it). And this kind of hallucinations is called olfactory (related to smell).

This could be related to
1. Degeneration or regeneration of the smell nerves in the nose secondary to lots of causes such as chronic sinusitis, chronic nose infections. This is the most common cause.
2. Brain lesions of the temporal lobe. This is rare.
3. Aura preceding seizures. Rather uncommon.
4. Certain psychiatric disorders.
5. Certain metabolic disorders.

Although this can be a simple and temporary condition but because of your family history of epilepsy, i would encourage you to see your personal doctor for a neurological referral to make sure that you don't have epilepsy as your other family members do. Temporal lobe epilepsy can present this way.

Also, i think a ct scan of the brain would not be unreasonable if you have other symptoms that would suggest the presence of an intracranial process such as new onset headache difficult to treat, vomiting, blurring of vision.

Once more, thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here