Question: MRI's, braces, lesions, worsening symptoms

tiasha - Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:19 am

I am a 33 yr old female and have been having on and off neurological problems since April 2003. They are becoming worse and are causing so much pain that I am literally feeling "mentally not at my best". I have had several Mri's since that time and have seen two different neurologists who tell me I definately do not have MS. I have asked if they have any other suggestions as to what may be causing my problems and they basically brush me off and tell me it is due to depression, fibro, or lets just wait and see what happens. I have taken neuropsych tests which are showing that mentally I am not functioning as I used to. The basics of the Mris are: (there was artifact on ALL brain mri's because of my braces)

10/30/2003: (this MRI was done WITHOUT contrast) lateral aspect of frontal lobe on the right 4-mm white matter hyperdensity. A second white matter hyperdensity anterior aspect left frontal lobe. A tiny hyperdensity noted in anterior corpus callosum on the sagittal flair.

12/02/2003: single tiny focus of low-T1 and bright-T2 signal in the left frontal lobe.(moderate artifact overlying the anterior aspect of the lower skull and anterior temporal lobes from braces)

12/29/2003: SPINE Small area hyperintense signal noted in the T-1 and T-2 weighted sequences observed in the inferior aspect of the L-3 Vertebral body.

5/27/2004: Partial opacification of a left frontal air cell. Previously seen abnormality not noted.

11/19/2004: tiny T2 bright signal in right frontal-lobe deep white matter remains stable in size. Lesion does not enhance.

11/03/05: tiny area hyperintense signal noted on the T-2 weighted sequences in the deep frontal white matter adjacent to the frontal horns of the lateral ventricals matter

Right now my WORST (not all) symptoms are:

Burning nerve pain. It feels like something is slicing into my muscles. It is very sporadic and occurs all throughout my body and has been happening for the past week. Topamax had been keeping this under control but it is not helping now. It used to happen mostly at night but now it is ALL the time. It can go from my leg, to my arm, to my finger, to my cheek, etc. VERY PAINFUL! Also other wierd prickly and crawling sensations on skin. Tingling in hands, feet, left lower leg.

Along with this my muscles are twitching off and on all day and night. Not painful, just irritating. Kind of feels like a rippling feeling.

Thighs are burning and feel very heavy.

Right eye pain.

MAJOR FATIGUE!

Major memory problems. Have had trouble putting together simple meals, simple household chores etc. Just can't figure it out. Difficulty putting thoughts together and talking. Know what I want to say, just can't get it to come out right.

I am also having problems with balance when i walk. When i go out I use a cane because I frequently trip over my own feet.

Reflux. At least I guess thats what you would call it. I also get choking episodes when talking, eating and drinking, and at times for no reason at all.

I don't know what to do. My doctors are of no help. I have also seen a rheumatologist. All of my bloodwork is normal except for my white counts and CRP which run a little high. I wonder if maybe the Topamax is making my symptoms worse. Or should I ask the rhumatologist for a new neurologist referral? Or could all this all really just be fibro or depression?
Thanks!
 rrettak - Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:37 am

tiasha.

WOW you sound just like me!! I have been having the same symptoms for about 15 years. I was dx with fibro about that same time it wasn't until 2003 that they found 9 lesions on my brain they told me then that I had Lymes, Lupus or MS
well they have ruled out Lymes and lupus but still can't tell me to this day if it's MS or not. I have seen so many Drs over the years and I still can't get them to make up their minds if it is MS all they keep telling me is... come back if the symtoms get worst and we'll do more tests!!! so at this point they are telling me that they think it's mini stokes, because they don't really know for sure. I went to Un of Chicago back in Sept and they wanted me to see their MS specialist to see if they thought it was MS but I live too far away from there to make the trips there, nor do I think I could take the ride there it would be to pain full. But what I was told by my 2 Neruo's is that Fibro doesn't cause lesions on the Brain?? I don't know what to believe anymore!!!
But I will tell you something I have learned over the years!! if you do not feel like the doctors you are currently seeing is helping you, seek another opinion!!! and another one until you feel like you are being taken seriously and feel comfortable about your care. you are the only one that can make that happen. believe me I had to learn the hard way!!! I am not a doctor or nurse or work in the medical field, but I do know that I had to keep searching until I found the right doctor to listen to me, there are caring doctor's out there that will help you find the answers you need to your health problems . Don't give up !!! keep asking questions.

if you want talk you can email me anytime !
Take Care and I wish you well.

|