Question: Pain and numbness in hands...

slashgashd2 - Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:32 am

I am 40 years old, very fit 6"1 220Ibs and all of a sudden IM having horrible pain and numbness in my fingers. I wake up in the middle of the night in agony and hang my hand off the bed for only like 10 seconds and the feeling is back. This only happens in the middle through pinky finger. I have also noticed weakness when trying to open jars for instance. I also have this problem in my left hand only not near the intensitiy. Any ideas? They don't feel cold or anything so I don't think blood flow is an issue, but this is beginning to make me nervous. I am on no medications at all.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:56 am

User avatar Hi slashgashd2,
Symptoms of nerve compression typically cause tingling, numbness and pain. For example, ulnar nerve syndrome/cubital tunnel syndrome, generally affect the ring and pinky fingers but may also include the middle finger. When compression of this nerve exists it interferes with motor movements which would include, for instance, turning a doorknob, opening a jar, etc. Conservative treatment consists of the use of anti-inflammatory medications, elbow pads for protection and to reduce repetitive injury, etc. When conservative treatment fails to improve symptoms surgical procedures are also an option. Regardless of whether or not this is the cause of your symptoms I would suggest an evaluation by your physician to identify the causative factor.

|