News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Ulnar Nerve repair?

chitownken - Fri May 28, 2004 9:46 pm

Hi,

I had talked to my PCP about my left pinky being numb all the time. Is there a "fix" for this either surgically or non-surgically? It has been this way for over a month now and my PCP has kind of left me with the notion that I would just have to live with it.

I appreciate your help on this... :shock:
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri May 28, 2004 11:49 pm

User avatar Chito,
Please check our page on ulnar nerve palsy for therapeutic options:
Ulnar nerve palsy

Check with neurosurgeon. It sounds like you haven't reached the stage where surgery is not an option. After your visit, please tell us what his opinion was.
Regards
 chitownken - Sat May 29, 2004 1:19 pm

Thank you Doctor for your help. It looks like I need to motivate my PCP to do something. However, I'm rather afraid of the connectivity tests as I hear they are very painful.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon May 31, 2004 2:09 pm

User avatar Dear Ken,

It does not have to be ulnar nerve damage alone that is causing your pinky finger to be numb al the time. It could be a neck problem causing an irritation to the nerves supplying this area of your hand as well.

Have you been having any neck problems?

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.
 chitownken - Mon May 31, 2004 2:23 pm

OK...I talked to my PCP today after reading about splinting the elbow to restrict movement. She told me that splinting is only effective for the wrist and now says that I'll need to be referred to a neurosurgeon.

BTW, I don't hev any neck pain.

So what do I do next? I REALLY appreciate your guidance with this. :shock:
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:04 pm

User avatar Dear Ken,

Seeing a neurologist or a neurosurgeon is a good step.

You might need to have a nerve conduction stud done and it will show if the nerve proper is damaged or the roots of the nerve are the ones that are damaged.

If you were having neck problems i would have suggested an x-ray of your neck to see whether you have any obvious arthritic changes in your neck that might account for this numbness which might be secondary to nerve compression.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.
 roala - Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:28 pm

i accidently stabbed my wrist with a pair of scissors and now my pinky and ring finger are numb and stay bent all the time--- also my palm under these fingers is also numb- is there any way this will get better with time or exercise or is surgery the only option ? Also, is there any down side to not having surgery immediatly following this trauma ??

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here