Question: Tingling in shoulder and left side of neck

JKF - Sun May 14, 2006 3:31 pm

I just started noticing that I am having tingling sensations in my left shoulder and beginning to have those same feelings on the left side of my neck. I have a sensory neuropathy that we don't know the cause of yet. I take 2400 mg of neurontin which helps with that pain but this tingling pins and needles in my shoulder and neck has me baffled. Do you think there is a connection between this tingling and the nerve pain I am being treated for? Thank you. JKF
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri May 19, 2006 3:59 pm

I hope you are feeling better. Where is the sensory neuropathy you are complaining of located? As for the tingling sensations they can be related to the original neuropathy or they can be the result of something else.

In disk disease or spinal arthritis the nerve roots are compresses (radiculopathy) leading to parasthesia that is felt according to the level of affection. In case it occurs in the neck (cervical spine), the paraesthesia is usually felt in the arms.

JKF - Fri May 19, 2006 6:54 pm

Thank you for the information. The neuropathy I have is mostly in my feet although I have had parathesias in my arms legs and even face. The neurontin however keeps me from feeling that pain but this tingling doesnt seem to be affected by the neurontin. Thanks again. I am going to my primary care doctor next week so I am ansious to see what he says about it. I do have arthritis at least in my lower back as his been proven by xray but I think I have it in a lot of other places which have not been xrayed yet.. because I have a lot of pain and stiffness.in a lot of places.JKF
 JKF - Sun May 28, 2006 6:34 pm

I am scheduled for an mri on my cervical spine and an ultrasound on my carotid artery both on June 8th. My primary care doctor scheduled these. and I am also scheduled to see my neurologist May 31st so we will see what he says about it as well. I will keep you posted when I learn anything. Thank you. JKF
 JKF - Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:45 pm

I had the mri on my cervical spine and the ultrasound on my neck yesterday and I got the results today. The ultrasound was normal however the mri showed that I have severe arthritis in my neck. The word severe kind of scares me. Anyway next Tuesday I have to have an emg on both armsto see how bad it is and the doctor mentioned several things in the future --possibly the pain clinic or surgery to scrape the spurs so they don't compress the nerve.. I know the tingling has been getting worse and much more frequent. I thought I would keep you posted. After I get the resuts of the emg I will write more. JKF
 JKF - Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:16 am

I learned yesterday that not only do I have severe arthritis in my neck but I also have a bilateral pinched nerve in my neck. I am going to see a neurosurgeon. Is there a connection between the arthritis and the pinched nerve or they two different problems altogether? JKF

|