Question: Head pressure, please respond

gesjad01 - Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:39 pm

Please respond.

I am a 22-year-old female, with pelvic floor dysfunction, a family history includes diabetes, and on no current medications. I work an office job, no heavy lifting, etc. No surgeries, no injuries. My blood pressure is normal, once someone said it is sort of low, but definitely not high.

Lately I have had a feeling of head pressure. Mostly in the front/top and sides of the head. I seem to notice it most often toward the afternoon while at work. Not as much in the morning. It seems to feel a lot worse when I get into my car when it is hot outside (and therefore hot inside the car). It is a bit relieved when I open the car windows, but I still feel the pressure as I’m driving (but, of course, not only when I’m driving). When I have the head pressure feeling, like I do right now, I feel quite tired and I yawn a lot. I also feel sort of “out of it,” especially when driving (but again, not just when driving). I’ve also noticed that I am a little clumsy lately. I was walking up the stairs carrying a baby the other day and almost fell, I just lost my footing, no particular reason. I also have been a little clumsy going around hallway corners in my house, or even just when standing. But this clumsy-ness symptom is very rare, I’ve only noticed it a few times. My main concern is the pressure in the head feeling and the accompanying drowsiness. I also get headaches during this head pressure feeling (though perhaps some would consider the head pressure feeling a headache?) and I normally don’t get headaches. I can’t tell if it’s relieved by Tylenol or Motrin, I normally don’t take anything and when I have I can’t remember whether it has helped.

Could there be a reason why I get this more in the afternoon? Could this be related to my diet (not a bad diet, just not as nutritious as it could be)? Could this be a brain tumor? I know you can’t make an Internet diagnosis but please let me know some possibilities or other symptoms I should look for.

Thank you!
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:56 pm

This could be due to:

- Tension and stress
Tension is probably responsible for almost 70% of all headaches.
Anxiety, lack of sleep and overuse of caffeine are common causes for similar type of headache.

Individuals usually experience mild or moderate pain on both sides of the head and a sensation of pressure behind the eyes, that may be associated with a sense of tightness in the neck muscles.

- Other causes to be excluded:
Blood pressure changes.
Sinusitis related headache
Drug side effect

|