News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Head pressure, please respond

gesjad01 - Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:39 pm

Please respond.

I am a 22-year-old female, with pelvic floor dysfunction, a family history includes diabetes, and on no current medications. I work an office job, no heavy lifting, etc. No surgeries, no injuries. My blood pressure is normal, once someone said it is sort of low, but definitely not high.

Lately I have had a feeling of head pressure. Mostly in the front/top and sides of the head. I seem to notice it most often toward the afternoon while at work. Not as much in the morning. It seems to feel a lot worse when I get into my car when it is hot outside (and therefore hot inside the car). It is a bit relieved when I open the car windows, but I still feel the pressure as I’m driving (but, of course, not only when I’m driving). When I have the head pressure feeling, like I do right now, I feel quite tired and I yawn a lot. I also feel sort of “out of it,” especially when driving (but again, not just when driving). I’ve also noticed that I am a little clumsy lately. I was walking up the stairs carrying a baby the other day and almost fell, I just lost my footing, no particular reason. I also have been a little clumsy going around hallway corners in my house, or even just when standing. But this clumsy-ness symptom is very rare, I’ve only noticed it a few times. My main concern is the pressure in the head feeling and the accompanying drowsiness. I also get headaches during this head pressure feeling (though perhaps some would consider the head pressure feeling a headache?) and I normally don’t get headaches. I can’t tell if it’s relieved by Tylenol or Motrin, I normally don’t take anything and when I have I can’t remember whether it has helped.

Could there be a reason why I get this more in the afternoon? Could this be related to my diet (not a bad diet, just not as nutritious as it could be)? Could this be a brain tumor? I know you can’t make an Internet diagnosis but please let me know some possibilities or other symptoms I should look for.

Thank you!
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:56 pm

User avatar Hello,

This could be due to:

- Tension and stress
Tension is probably responsible for almost 70% of all headaches.
Anxiety, lack of sleep and overuse of caffeine are common causes for similar type of headache.

Individuals usually experience mild or moderate pain on both sides of the head and a sensation of pressure behind the eyes, that may be associated with a sense of tightness in the neck muscles.

- Other causes to be excluded:
Blood pressure changes.
Sinusitis related headache
Drug side effect

Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here