News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Did I take the imaging/diagnostic tests too soon?

reianni - Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:00 pm

Back in 2003 I suffered from vertigo and was hospitalized. That year I underwent a CT-Scan & MRI, all was negative. 2004 came and I stil had vertigo and did a CT-Scan again and my neurologist gave me the all clear. I also did a thyroid and potassium test and all are ok. 2005 up to now I'm experienceing muscle twitchings and they are all over my body and are very frequent like I'd have muscle twitchings within 10 minutes apart. Fingers, toes, calves, arms, back, thighs and the side of my head. They can sometimes be so strong that I can see my clothes pulsing with them. So now, I'm suffering from vertigo, muscle twitchings, difficulty in sleeping and heartburn but what bothers me the most are my twitchings. They differ, some just pulse once and others pulse a lot of times from one side of my body to the other. Some take a second and some twitch for minutes. I informed my neurologist about this and asked him if I should have another imaging exam to see if there has been any changes and he just said that it's probably benign twitchings or maybe because of my anxiety or my TMJ or even my MPS. He said that if it were Parkinsons or any neurological disease and IF I had it since 2003 then I should be bedridden now or my motor skills would have severly deteriorated by now not to mention my memory. My body feels heavy but even if I feel weak I can still lift 30lbs dumbells on each arm and can do motor skill tests with ease. I'm wondering if there's and off chance that my previous imaging exams are worthless since 2004 was my last imaging and 2005 was when I experienced these twitchings. Was it too soon? Or am I just paranoid and too anxious?! I'm 26.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:11 pm

User avatar Hello,

Tremors could be a manifestation of several diseases such as familial tremor (which runs in families), essential tremor (no known cause) as well as drug-induced tremor (drugs known to induce tremor include valproic acid, lithium, and cyclosporine). Parkinson's disease and other illnesses may cause tremors in addition to other symptoms. Certain medical problems such as hyperthyroidism or Wilson's disease may cause tremors.

A useful way to understand and describe tremors is to define them according to whether they occur during rest or during action.

Resting or static tremor occurs when the muscle is relaxed and the limb is fully supported against gravity, such as when the hands are lying on the lap. It may be seen as a shaking of the limb, even when the person is at rest. This type of tremor is often seen in patients with Parkinson’s disease.

An action tremor occurs during any type of movement of an affected body part. There are several subclassifications of action tremor which include purposeful actions (intention) tremors.

Essential tremor is associated with purposeful movement (e.g., holding a glass to drink, shaving, writing, buttoning a shirt). It occurs most often in the hands and head and also may affect the arms, voice box (larynx), trunk, and legs. Essential tremor (also called benign essential tremor) is the most common of the more than 20 types of tremor.

Cerebellar tremor is a slow, broad tremor of the extremities that occurs at the end of a purposeful movement, such as trying to press a button or touching a finger to the tip of one’s nose.

Psychogenic tremor (also called hysterical tremor) can occur at rest or during postural or kinetic movement. The characteristics of this kind of tremor may vary but generally include sudden onset and remission, increased incidence with stress, change in tremor direction and/or body part affected, and greatly decreased or disappearing tremor activity when the patient is distracted. Many patients with psychogenic tremor have a conversion disorder or another psychiatric disease.

Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here