News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Kindly educate me about muscle wasting?

reianni - Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:05 pm

I've read data about muscle wasting but haven't quite grasped about some facts. Although I know muscle wasting is mostly due to neurological damage but here are a few questions I hope you can answer:

1)If a patient has muscle wasting, how long is the duration before the patient feels or sees the difference? Does muscle wasting take a couple of weeks, months or years?

2)What are it's symptoms? How do you notice it?

3)Are there any affordable tests that can be done to check if you have muscle wasting?

Thanks. Hope that you can educate me.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:59 am

User avatar Hi reianni,
Muscle wasting (atrophy) may be caused by numerous conditions not just neurological based. Often, the fact of experiencing an extended illness with several days to weeks of bedrest, as often noted in the elderly population, will produce signs and symptoms of muscle wasting. Physical evaluation by a physician, as well as measurements of the affected limbs would identify atrophy. Diagnostic studies, ie., xrays, CT scan, muscle biopsy, etc. would also be evaluative tools. I hope this information is helpful.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here