Question: Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome

alesv - Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:46 am

I'm man, 29 yo and I went through the Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome surgery two months ago (my first surgery ever). I suffered nerve entrapment in the tarsal tunnel area after snowboarding in February this year. I got most of the typical symptoms for TTS like burning, numbness, muscle waisting, pain (all in the plantar aspect of my foot), limited toes flexion, including a positive Tinel's sign under the ankle area. My neurosurgeon told me the surgery was successfull and he expects the nerve to be in condition for full recovery that should take several months up to year. My subjective feelings after the surgery are quite positive -meaning that I have less pain in the foot and I make some progress with the toe flexion, I even manage to stand on the tip of my foot (which before the operation was not possible at all). However, I still have a positive Tinel's sign, meaning if I tap over the scar under the ankle, I still feel the same response in my toes as I felt before the operation. My surgeon told me that this will persist for some time and it should disappear later when the nerve will regenerate. On the other hand, I read some opinion on the web that this should vanish immediately after the nerve has been decompressed. Could you please let me know your opinion?

Thanks a lot,

Ales
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:42 pm

Surgical intervention for the management of tarsal tunnel syndrome is considered when conservative therapy fails to control the patient's symptoms.

The operation aims at releasing the pressure exerted over the nerve by a mass(cyst) or fibrous tissue.

Good results and immediate pain relief are usually obtained after the operation. Sometimes complete resolution of symptoms is not be possible especially if there is irreversible nerve damage.

Pain relief and functional improvement (as you mentioned) are good indicator for the relief of pressure applied on the nerves supplying the muscles of the foot.They indicate positive results for the nerve decompression procedure.

I also agree with your doctor that nerve regeneration takes sometimes few months.
I advise you to follow with your doctor and keep us updated

|