Question: tingling arms, hands, feet and lightheadedness- MS?

lilly309 - Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:11 pm

I am a 27 year old female who has been experiencing tingling in my arms, hands, and feet since June. The tingling in my arms/hands occurs primarily at night and usually goes away when I change sleeping positions, but there is also some mild tinlging in my right hand during the day, mainly in my ring and pinky fingers.

My feet have started falingl asleep constantly...it usually lasts a few minutes and happens mostly when I'm seated and my legs are crossed.

At the end of October I started to experience constant lightheadedness/brain fog feeling, with one near-fainting episode. It seems to get worse after eating.

My visits to the doctor have so far shown that it is not related to anemia, diabetes, a thyroid issue, or B12. i had a holter monitor and echo due to a high heart rate (125) at the doctor's office; both were normal. a brain CT scan was also normal. i'm scheduled for an MRI of the brain next week and am so scared it might be MS, although my PCP feels it's unlikely. she said i may have carpal tunnel, which could explain the arm tingling at night but certainly not the tingling in my feet!

does this type of "positional" tingling coupled with lightheadedness sound like it could MS?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:26 am

I agree with your doctor. Multiple sclerosis (MS) is very unlikely.

MS is believed to be an autoimmune disease that result in disrupted communication between the brain and other parts of the body.

The clinical course of the disease may be relatively benign or very disabling for others.

Presentation of the disease is usually seen at ages of 20 and 40. The initial symptom of MS in many patients is disturbed vision. Paresthesias and transitory abnormal sensory feelings are also very common complaints.

The disease can present in different forms, such as primary progressive, relapsing remitting, relapsing progressive, and secondary progressive phenotypes.

There is a set of diagnostic criteria that a neurologist looks for to reach the diagnosis of MS since there is no single definitive investigation for diagnosis. Criteria involve both clinical and lab data.

The diagnosis of MS is based on the presence of central nervous system (CNS) lesions that are disseminated in time (i.e., occur in different parts of the CNS at least 3 months apart) and space (eg, weakness of one or more limbs, optic neuritis, sensory symptoms), after exclusion of other possible neurological conditions.

Keep us updated.
 lilly309 - Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:19 am

Thank you so much for your response.
 Ben Simpson - Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:07 pm

My names Ben Aged 28 and I used to be active on the 19 of march 2006 walking down a road I had a Turn that changed my life. The pain I could only think is a bit like banging your funny bone and a tight fealing In my Right Leg, on the arch of my foot it so so pain full my foot started to swell and a tight pain started That was in March. Its now December and after beeing look at by My GP and Rheumatology then onto Pediatricis my GP and my self are at a loss Still pain Sill a ball of swolen area at the arch of my foot. A similer situation for my lef foot but a lesser pain and not as bad. I have had Xrays Scans Blood tests The only thing found was that my uric acid levels where slitely higher than they where but I do not have a gout syntems and It a Nerve like pain I have.

I have had Fist I was told it could be Sarcoidosis after a chest xray this was rulled out at this time I went onto see a foot doctor and after a xray and scan seeing a rude Doc Who said get better footwhere. I am now going to see about MS And Nerology.

I know my DADS Sister Died of MS a long tiem ago..

My other Thing is I started to notice my self getting angery about the pain i am in also walking is still a ISSUE can you help I could show images.

I have a Cleft and I have had Lots of surgey on my face over 20 opps and they did a great job on me The only side effects are tinnitius and im now used to that.

Currently I am taking Naprosyn 3 times a day, 500 MG and Allopurinol 300MG once a day

Could you help Thanks Ben Simpson

|