Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Different kind of headache?

kelbi8 - Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:41 pm

:( I never sufferd migraines in the past, but when I hit my around 34, I started getting a few here and there, some severe, some mild, usually with vision disturbance. I can deal with that, but in the past month, on 3 seperate occasions, I have had a different headache unlike the others. It comes without warning and shoots to the right side of my upper skull. It normally will last 2-3 hours, but not consistant. It is unbearable pain that comes and goes in that time frame. It reminds me of biting in to something cold and you have that same pain in your tooth(not headfreeze). I had a neck fusion with plates back in Feb and am wondering if this could be related. I am not sure how to deal with these headaches, because they make you double over in pain. I have no nausea with them and the pain goes as quick as it came. Any suggestions?
 Dr. Russell M - Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:52 am

User avatar Hi!

Have you been to your doctor regarding your headache? Why did you have the neck plate fusion? Have you had followup with the docs who did the fusion?

bill
 kelbi8 - Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:08 pm

Bill:
had a follow up, actually few with surgeon. He states that headaches are unrelated to the surgery or neck. I never had clusters before either and started getting after surgery. Had 2 ruptures and 1 buldge. Have neuropathy. No one seems concerned about the headaches, so assume they may be muscle related.
Actually, no one was concerned about my neck pain for a year either until I requested an MRI after putting up with severe weakness and arm pain. It was also assumed to be muscle related. Fooled them!
I did get a trigger point injection that week of severe head pain. I think this may have been the cause to. Did research and it says trigger points usually do not have these symptoms I am experiencing. I had a minor eidsode as well last evening. Much less severe. Strong pain, but shot in one time and then left. Not really sure where to go from here.

Thanks,

Kelly :D
 Dr. Russell M - Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:36 am

User avatar Hi!

"Had 2 ruptures and 1 buldge" - What exactly do you mean by that statement? Did the trigger-point injection relieve your headache? What medicines are you now taking? Are you in any amount of stress? Does your headache relate to any stress that you might have?

bill
 kelbi8 - Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:34 pm

I mean 2 ruptured disks in neck and one buldging disk. One with spinal compression. These were removed, not buldge. Donor bones were fused in along with plate and screws. I believe the trigger point injections, (2 in 2 month) each side of neck were what caused the headaches, not made them better. The major episode happened I believe the same day or day after the injection. I am not under anymore stress than normal and feel stress is not an issue. The only med I take now is skelaxin PRN. I am to take Naproxing for lateral epichondilitis, but haven't taken yet. Other than that, no meds. I quess this is something I will never know the answer too. I will let go at that, unless I start getting continues days in a months time. Seems to be easing. I started back at the gym too, so maybe vigerous exercize caused some of the headache concidering I haven't done any in some time.
 Dr. Russell M - Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:46 am

User avatar Hi!

Alrite. Have you tried tylenol for your headaches?

bill

|