Forum Name: Headaches

Question: lump on the back of my head

phil10ca - Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:10 pm

Just now noticed I have a lump on the back of my head, right in the middle, and where the hole in the back of a ball cap is. It doesn't hurt, and it feels hard to the touch. But not sensitive. Just wondering what this could be.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:37 pm

It would be more helpful if you can inform us more about the characters of this swelling like size, associated scalp infection, history of recent trauma etc.

This swelling could be :
- Folliculitis, it is an infection of the hair follicles. Forming small, white-headed Bumps in hair follicles (roots).
Lesions may be Itching. Superficial folliculitis resolves spontaneously in a few days, while deep or recurring folliculitis should be medically treated.

- Seborrheic dermatitis, which occurs where the skin is oily or greasy like the scalp.
Secondary bacterial infections may occur forming swellings that need antibiotic local treatment.

- An enlarged lymph node as reactionary to infection in the area drained by them like scalp infections or lesions.

Most of the lesions are soft to firm , may be painful and tender.

- A traumatic lesion which may pass unnoticed. The swelling is felt as hard but pain and tenderness may be present.

Direct clinical examination is essential.
Keep us updated.

|