Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Pain on the top right side of head?

Mandy23 - Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:11 pm

I am a 23 year old female. Never had any health problems before now, but for the past 2 months I have been getting this pain that feels like a burning sensation, on the top right side of my head, and at the base of my right side as well. However, the base of my head isn't as painful as the top is. It occurs once or twice a week. I am not sure exactly what this is, someone said it could be cluster headches. Could that be the reason for the pain? Or do you think it may be something more serious?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:54 pm

User avatar Cluster headaches are headaches that occur in "clusters" by happening at around the same time of day and in the same area of the head (often behind the eye) for several days in a row.

It does not sound like you are having cluster headaches. You may be experiencing inflammation of your galeal aponeurosis. This is the band that connects the muscle of your forehead with the muscle of the back part of your head. (This is the muscle system that allows you to raise your eyebrows.)

If this is the cause, treatment is with non-steroidal anti inflammatory meds (ibuprofen, etc.).

I would recommend that you see your doctor for an evaluation since there are a few other causes that should be checked for.

|