Question: vague symptoms - MS???

Mamma1972 - Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:03 pm

I am a 34 year old femaie andI feel like I'm going nowhere with a variety of symptoms & no diagnosis as of yet, except for "anxiety".

My symptoms started two months ago (following a very stressful period in my life). I had also had a horrible virus, leading to a sinus infection - it lasted nearly 5 weeks prior to these strange symptoms.

All the symptoms come & go, never lasting more than an hour or so at a time, or somtimes just seconds: tingling sensation in face or feet or hand, "purring" in right foot", numb/tingling in three toes on left foot, odd sensation on one section of my tongue, a slight feeling of tiredness in my right arm, itchy legs, back & arms.

My very first symptom was the facial tingling (only on the left side). I was sent to a hospital for possible evaluation of Bells' Palsy. Turned out not to be the case, but the doctor suspected some sort of virus contributing to the odd facial sensations. A few days later, the other symptoms started to kick in. It's been two long months and I'm sick and tired of feeling sick & tired! After a lot of persuading, I've been referred to a neurologist & will be seeing him this coming weekend. I am also having an MRI of the brain this Friday. I wonder why it wouldn't be of brain & spine.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out if these symptoms are typical (I know, though, there's never a true "typical" route for MS). I'm currently taking Xanax (0.25 mg, 2X daily) & am finding it has helped somewhat with the tingling and the extreme anxiety this has caused me. Or, perhaps the Xanax just allows me not to focus on my symptoms so much. Not sure.

I should also mention that I fractured my spine (L3 compression fracture) 7 years ago. I also experienced a horrible epidural headache/CSF leak 3 years ago, due to a wonky epidural (because of my spinal issue). Not sure if that has anything to do with all this crazy sensory stuff.

Thanks in advance for this helpful service. It's appreciated.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:58 am

User avatar Hi Mamma1972,
MS is sometimes difficult to diagnose and many times is identified on a basis of exclusison. A MRI of the brain would be able to identify if there are lesions which correlate to MS. A previous fracture in the lumbar region of the spine may account for some of your symptoms as well. I certainly hope that if you had CSF leakage a blood patch was done as this would have helped the "spinal headache" tremendously. I hope you have had your diagnostics and Neurology appointment and an update would be very appreciated.

|